Author Topic: Hog rifle  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Carper

Hog rifle
« on: February 23, 2018, 08:39:04 AM »
Thanks for all the very nice comments on my prior post. I thought some folks that fancy southern homemade rifles might like to see a better look at #43 and my hunting rifle too. Notice the mule head patchbox mad and antler heel piece .

Offline Bill Paton

Re: Hog rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 10:19:16 AM »
Very fine heirlooms You have created there, Johnny.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 05:42:19 PM »
 :o :o :o... Having handled more than a few original Tennessee rifles, I must compliment your work,.... Your forgeings are spot-on ..... do you use   "over the comb"  barrel tang too,??? ... what barrel lengths..?? ... maybe a few close-ups & specs for us to admire ....Great work ,,!!! .... thanx for  pix,.... Regards,   ..... C C Fiddler

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 05:50:21 PM »
Nice.  Very nice.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Carper

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:48:27 PM »
Thank all you folks. These are either spear points or over the comb. The barrels are about 40” long , I rifle them myself on a homemade index and that’s about as long as my spool is! How about that mule?

Treebeard

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 08:52:17 PM »
Nice mule! I also noticed your work bench in the background with a couple raw cow horns next to it.
Must be nice to work outside in decent weather.

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 10:38:31 PM »
Nice rifles!
From the first picture, I thought you were a little young to be making such fine rifles, but then again some people do start young, and by the looks of it you have a very interested apprentice.
Fred
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 01:43:06 AM »
No, no, no, tell that boy HE is supposed to stand on the bench and the rifle butt is supposed to go on the ground.  He'll never get 'em loaded the way he's going now...  :)
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline little joe

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 06:23:06 AM »
Carper You need to careful on the mule. Former boss 30 years ago shot his mule through the ear, it bucked and threw him up to a sycamore limb and he was a few weeks recouping.

Offline Carper

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 06:37:15 AM »
That’s why I put an extra long barrel on that rifle. I can rest it on his poll and the muzzle is way out there😀😂

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 05:40:46 PM »
These Johnny Walker rifles are a "Curse"  To the competition that is!  I have to compete against these rifles in southern West Virginia and I do have to be on my game for sure or I am going to get beat by someone shooting one of these.

Bob

Offline Carper

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 12:13:52 AM »
Thank you Bob. I guess I have cut 200 barrels by hand and I would say 90% of them are still within 100 miles of where you live. So you just might bump up against them at shoots local to you. Although I suspect the skill of the shooter overcomes some of the defiencies of the barrels I rifled. I must admit when I was shooting a lot I decided to buy myself a 48” Getz  1” diameter .45 barrel and thinking it would do bette than the barrels coming off my old index. I shot it 500 or so times and put my old barrel back on. It clean a lot easier. I saw a picture of you powering my old machine that I gave to Travis so hope you will cut yourself one soon. Thanks again. JW

Offline tim crowe

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 07:43:59 AM »
Carper,
Would you be so kind to post pics of your rifler? Inquiring minds would like to see it?

Offline Carper

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »
If you look in upper left of this picture you can see the guide my GGrandpa and Grandpa used . I will post a picture of my guide and cutter in the building section so you can see it.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
Here is a short video of Carper's protege' using Carper's old rifling machine rifling a 45 caliber barrel blank purchased from Rice at Friendship.  The little guy is a future traditional muzzleloader shooter.

Bob
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 03:16:52 PM by Leatherbark »

galudwig

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 02:18:59 AM »
Love your work.  Would also love to see a few close-up shots of that "cap gun" and the flint gun you are holding on the mule.