Author Topic: Whitworth F-Series Target Rifle  (Read 2673 times)

Offline Gunnermike

Whitworth F-Series Target Rifle
« on: February 25, 2018, 04:17:38 AM »
For those interested in the epitome of fine muzzle loading target rifles there are about 40 large scale photos of a Whitworth F-Series Target Rifle on the Joe Salter website.  Who ever does the photos for Joe Salter really knows his business because every detail of this target rifle is shown from different angles. 

Anyway, the cost of the Whitworth is "a bit above" the average builders wallet capacity but here is the web link:  http://www.joesalter.com/category/products/Whitworth-F-Series-Target-Rifle-w-Matching-Sight-Boothroyd-Collect

Here are a couple of photos:

Go to the link above and I hope you enjoy the photos as much as I did.  Mike

Offline snapper

Re: Whitworth F-Series Target Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 05:12:11 AM »
Very nice

How do I break it to my wife?

Before I bought my Rigby I told her I wanted to by a motorcycle.   She gave me a puzzled look as I don't ride motorcycles.    So I said howabout I buy a gun instead?   She is a good woman.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 10:36:23 AM »
  I belonged to a Civil War artillery club (photos attached) in the '60's, and one of our cannons (that we never fired) was a Whitworth, with a hexagonal bore like the rifle pictured in the URL.  We fielded a battery of 5 guns--4 4-inchers, and 1 5-inch Napolean.  Now, that's black powder shooting!  Our uniforms weren't very authentic (denim work jackets and Levis), but the age of the crews was--mostly guys in their late teens, like back in the day.

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
Very nice

How do I break it to my wife?

Before I bought my Rigby I told her I wanted to by a motorcycle.   She gave me a puzzled look as I don't ride motorcycles.    So I said howabout I buy a gun instead?   She is a good woman.

Fleener

(1) Yes, you can buy a Harley for $20,000, but you can't bring it into the kitchen, well unless your other half has as many tattoos as you. (2) The Whitworth will appreciate in value, a Harley probably not as much.  (3) You won't break your leg if a Whitworth falls on it.  (4) You'll never be hit by a distracted driver if you choose to shoot the Whitworth at a 1000 yd. range.  Yup, owning a Whitworth has a lot of upsides to owning a new Harley. [for those of you who haven't looked a the web link, the Whitworth is listed for as much as a nice Harley.]

Offline Gunnermike

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 11:47:05 AM »
  I belonged to a Civil War artillery club (photos attached) in the '60's, and one of our cannons (that we never fired) was a Whitworth, with a hexagonal bore like the rifle pictured in the URL.  We fielded a battery of 5 guns--4 4-inchers, and 1 5-inch Napolean.  Now, that's black powder shooting!  Our uniforms weren't very authentic (denim work jackets and Levis), but the age of the crews was--mostly guys in their late teens, like back in the day.

Great photos and what a great experience to have as a young man in the 60's.  Do you have tinnitus from those boomers?

My tinnitus is from the summer of '72 in Haiphong harbor & other places north of the DMZ.  6 of us (the other 295 were inside the ship) were outside on the decks of our WW2 vintage destroyer as we played tag with the NVA shore batteries.  I think 2 - 5"/38's going off simultaneously were at least as loud as a 5" Napolean.

Offline Natureboy

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:43:19 AM »
  My tinnitus is the result of my Army service (Army Advisory Group, Thailand, '67-68).  Too much fun with guns, and riding in very noisy Caribou aircraft.