Author Topic: Are .36 Rifles Fun?  (Read 9786 times)

Iktomi

Re: Are .36 Rifles Fun?
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2018, 06:23:25 PM »
I admit to being a relative novice WRT traditional muzzleloaders, but I think that what caliber is "best all around" largely depends on where you live and what your intended game is. My primary big game focus is elk, and using a .45 for an animal that can be the size of a horse and is very tenacious of life could be a very iffy proposition. From my own experience, I would consider my .54 with PRB about the minimum I would feel comfortable with. Personally, I would like to build a rifle in .58 or .62 for elk hunting. A .45 would be nice to have for the local blacktail deer that are about the size of slightly overgrown jackrabbits.

Regarding fouling, I assumed that .32 and .36 were more susceptible to fouling, but I note that some here disagree.  I do think the smaller bores require a bit more diligence, such as avoiding swabbing between shots (so as not to cover the vent with fouling pushed down the bore.)   I still believe, however, that fouling can be more problematic in smaller bores, because the fouling represents a bigger percentage of the area circumscribed by the bore (relative to the same thickness of fouling in a larger bore).

Another factor to consider is this:  what happens when you get to be really good with your rifle, and you decide you want to hunt with it?   A .50 caliber will take a deer whereas a .36 is probably not optimal.

I personally think the .45 caliber is the best all-around caliber for muzzleloaders... if you had to choose just one.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2018, 08:20:24 PM »
I use Lehigh Valley Lube and have never had problems with fouling with either 30, 32 or 36. My problem is loading the smaller 30 and 32, so I sold them and built a 36 (also sold :D) but to me the 36 is a far better choice for my clumsy hands. I will be building another 36, it just seems much easier for me and mine shot just as well as the smaller calibers and as an extra is a little lighter in comparably barrel profiles.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
Although .45 is my favorite caliber, I shoot my "dainty" little .36 flint SMR the most.  Light, accurate and cheap to feed.  I use two lubes in all my guns; TOW mink oil and Hoppes #9 BP Lube.  I like mink oil for the bush and Hoppes for the range and sometimes in the bush.  Using either lube, I never bother with swabbing the bore at all until the rifle is cleaned.  It's merely a matter of shoot, load, shoot, etc, etc.  Just use the right patch, right lube and there you have it.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2018, 09:53:23 PM »
I am not physicaly able to hunt anymore so what fun I get is at paper targets with my 32 caliber rifle.  If I were young again I would still use a 32 for small game hunting.  I have large bore rifles but never use them any more. Will give to my grandson.  A friend and I sit on his back porch in the fall and shoot apples off his trees. Lot of fun.
iloco