Author Topic: Powder Horn  (Read 2359 times)

n stephenson

Powder Horn
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:29:02 PM »
Here`s a powder horn I made back in 2009 . I need to make another one sometime. It is not a copy , just what I liked. On the front it is inscribed. Proverbs 18; 10   The name of the Lord is a strong tower, the righteous run into it , and are safe. On the back is my name and date and, a tower. I don`t make many horns but, I do enjoy making them.   Thanks Nate

picture hosting sites free

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

Re: Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:49:58 PM »
 ;) ;)... Yes you should make more ... great looking horn,... has the look of an original that the owner scratched these lines on as he sat in his cabin on those long winter nights 200 years ago .... the "patina" really works good on that horn .... thanx for posting .... regards, CC Fiddler ....

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 05:56:37 PM »
Very nice work.  I very much like the shape / curves of the horn.  In fact that is the curve I always look for.  I wear my horns on the right hand side.
I often wondered if you great horn makers actually heated and bent the horns to the curve you wanted?  Is that at all possible?
Thanks for posting

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
 A Beauty Nate, Great choice of material.

Tim

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 04:19:13 AM »
Really good color on the horn and wood. Like the throat a lot also.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 04:56:22 AM »
Awesome horn...I really like the carving, and the color is perfect. Very nice!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curtis Makamson

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:24:34 PM »
That is nicely done.
Dubious artisan, semi-literate writer, pretend photographer, woeful speaker, impractical dreamer, hoarder of distractions, purveyor of irrelevance, connoisseur of whimsy, prolific starter, paltry finisher.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:49 AM »
That is a beautiful horn Nate.  I like the finishes, antique work, and especially the engraving.  Well done.  I think it looks like it would go well on my last bag I made!  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »
Tell us about the acorn shaped stopper.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

n stephenson

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 04:13:52 PM »
Tell us about the acorn shaped stopper.
I was turning a stopper on the lathe and this shape just kind of happened. I liked it , I thought it worked with the shape of the horn. Nate

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 04:16:53 PM »
That is a beautiful horn Nate.  I like the finishes, antique work, and especially the engraving.  Well done.  I think it looks like it would go well on my last bag I made!  Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc
Marc, Thanks for the nice comments. You might mess your bag up with this old horn!! That is a nice bag. Nate

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 07:41:14 PM »
I like it. LOTS ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning