Author Topic: hawken flintlock style  (Read 3908 times)

Offline alacran

Re: hawken flintlock style
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2018, 03:31:19 PM »
How many flintlocks do you think were converted to caplocks without ever having been on a gun?
 I imagine there were a lot of  flintlocks in stock that were simply converted to make them saleable, when the caplock craze started.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline ScottH

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2018, 02:11:13 AM »
Wondering out loud if the Chambers Early Ketland could be modified enough at the tail to make a "Hawken" flintlock?
Also does the Early Ketland have a beveled edge on the lock plate???

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2018, 03:23:44 AM »
The early Ketland is not beveled, but quite big compared with locks from the 1820’s to 1830’s. No roller on the frizzen.  Early styling all around.  The nose or forward part of the lock is narrower than most later locks.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »
The Hawken brothers used locks from many sources, so I would guess that any lock of good quality and the proper time period would be a possibility.
 The use of converted locks to make guns that never were flint, is the very best argument against reconverting, IMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline redheart

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2018, 06:31:39 AM »
Did anyone ever find an original flint Hawken plains rifle yet?
I'm kind of out of the loop and haven't heard any new developments.
I'm not gonna agree with Hungry Horse this time because I tired of him being right all the time. ;)

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 06:41:26 AM »
Nothing new found as far as a flintlock Hawken - of course it would not still be flintlock, so when we see a a fullstock plains rifle with a Hawken stamped barrel, fixed breech, drum and nipple, and a lock which appears to be converted from percusssion, that is as close as we are going to get.

Expecting a very early, flintlock mounted Hawken to have all the classic features of later guns is probably unrealistic also.
Andover, Vermont

Offline redheart

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 06:55:29 PM »
Nothing new found as far as a flintlock Hawken - of course it would not still be flintlock, so when we see a a fullstock plains rifle with a Hawken stamped barrel, fixed breech, drum and nipple, and a lock which appears to be converted from percusssion, that is as close as we are going to get.

Expecting a very early, flintlock mounted Hawken to have all the classic features of later guns is probably unrealistic also.
Thanks Rich,
I thought that maybe the missing link had shown up by now if there is one. :o