Author Topic: ... SHOW ME YOUR SODDY ... !!!  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

... SHOW ME YOUR SODDY ... !!!
« on: March 03, 2018, 11:57:39 PM »
 ;) ;)... with a nod to Mark & Robin, ... I propose to start a new topic here ... York shoot and other "across the log" matches coming-up soon, so how about us showing pix of our "chunk" guns ...??? ... Gotta be some original Soddy guns hiding out in collections .... many are too heavy to drag out to shows ... !!!... Wouldn't object to contemporary Soddy style guns here too,..!!! ... SHOW US WHAT YA GOT,  FELLERS ... !!! ... include specs & makers if you can ... THANX,.... Regards, ... Cades Cove Fiddler ......   

Re: ... SHOW ME YOUR SODDY ... !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 12:01:42 AM »
... My own Soddy "chunk" gun ...  .40cal, 64" bbl., built by Ronald Driesbach  ....

longrifle

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 06:55:23 AM »
Beautiful

Offline mark brier

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 04:32:44 PM »
Great idea Cades cove, I would love to see them. As an aside note I am going to be in Gatlinburg this July.
Mark Brier

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 12:41:52 AM »
46” barrel, 45 cal., good bore. Came from the Oakley family in Greenville, Ohio.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
 :o :o :o... Nice one Gerald,... Thanx ... This is what I like to see ,...!!! ... any speculation as to maker ..???  ... Show us more,.... Anyone got pix of "Old Scaley" or "the Jake Keedy gun" ...??? ... C C Fiddler ............

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 02:47:19 PM »
Maker was most likely John Clement. It is an almost perfect match to the signed Clement I sold at Lake Cumberland.

Offline mark brier

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 03:08:41 PM »
This is the only picture I can add
Mark Brier

upload images

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:20:33 PM »
 :o :o... Thanx, Gerald & Mark for the pix,... Knew there had had to be some Soddy's out there,... !!!

Online JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »
Did you see this one; http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2302.0

A sweet gun I wouldn't mind owning!
John
John Robbins

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 02:43:09 AM »
^^^^^^^Probably my all time favorite in that category.^^^^^^^
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 03:42:07 AM »
I've got three originals, 2 McCraners out of Dark County Ohio and 1 by George Brammer out of Lawrence County Ohio. One of the McCraners was lined by Gene Weichold in Cinncinnati. Other than that they are in as new condition with no restoration.
Mark
Mark

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 04:07:59 AM »
   Hi Bud ....well yeah know how I feel about Soddys...my favorite...still lookin for one under 40 cal. Going to be hunting hard when I get to the Tennessee show...Cades maybe you can help me spend my money...But I want a good shooter...an as you know I have a passion for a Duprey...
   Oldtravler

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 05:40:10 AM »
 8) 8) 8)... Hey, Mike  .... If ever find a DuPrey gun in any form,... better snatch it up,.. !!! ... IMO this hobby's most overlooked & non appreciated builder ... Never find one for sale.....Happy Hunting,... !!! ... A Soddy by Jack in .50cal would be nice... with 48" bbl,... but I don't ask for much ....  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »
 :o :o... JTR,... Perfect Soddy style ... !!! ... shorter barreled, lightweight too ... not the heavy match gun we are used to seeing by Soddy gunsmiths .... !!!   Thanx .. !!

Offline 1sogdusm

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Great!  Now I need another addiction hotline for yet another style of rifle!! I guess when you live in Tennessee it’s bound to happen sooner or later. Great photos boys.

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 10:44:22 PM »
 :o :o :o... BEWARE......... They are addictive .... !!!!

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »
Not a S-D, but a chunk gun.

upload photo
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2018, 12:19:06 AM »
Also not a "Soddy" but a neat chunk gun regardless - Jakob Fordney, Lancaster.  54 Cal. and since the photos don't convey the size, it weighs about 23 lbs.  Erik Kettenburg did a great job of re-converting to flint years ago and this is the piece that sparked my interest in longrifles.  On the rare occasions it comes off the dining room wall, I store it muzzle down so as to not stress the wrist which clearly suffered a break or two at some point in the distant past.

timM

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 08:02:46 AM »

Another Soddy, this rifle is shown in an upcoming auction.

https://caseantiques.com/item/tennessee-long-rifle-john-clement-of-soddy-daisy-tn-lot3/

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 09:20:54 PM »
 :o :o :o... Bill, you would  need a trailer to haul that gun to shoots,... !!! .... I have heard of Pennsylvania match guns,... but never before have seen one ,... that Fordney is Great,... !!! ... and the Soddy gun that timM links to was sold at auction a few years ago ... don't know any specs but maker was John Clements ,... real nice Soddy gun,..... Regards, C C Fiddler  .... Keep 'em coming, Boys,....... 

russian image forum

get picture url

timM

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 07:02:33 PM »
On the chance that anyone interested has missed the only other Soddy shown in our museum, here is a link to it;

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6000.0

Online oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 10:41:12 PM »
  Interesting that it has a screw to hold the back of the lock plate. Also the lock seems to small for the front of the lock mortice. But could be just shrinkage over time. Just my thoughts. Oldtravler

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 03:26:38 AM »
 ;) ;).... Agree, Mike,... IMO lock was replaced many years ago,.... I have seen that treatment used at tail of lock-plate on several mountain rifles,... even used nails ... beautiful Soddy style, though,.. !!!