Author Topic: Any reviews of Giles Cromwell's Virginia book?  (Read 1287 times)

Hemo

Any reviews of Giles Cromwell's Virginia book?
« on: March 08, 2018, 06:41:33 PM »
I'm seeing advertisements for a book, "The Cromwell Collection", pertaining to "Virginia weapons and other materiel of the American Revolution". I'm interested in finding photographic details of Virginia rifles from this period for an upcoming building project. Can anyone tell me if there is much detailed material on Virginia rifles in this book before I sink $100 in it?

Thanks,

Gregg

Offline VP

Re: Any reviews of Giles Cromwell's Virginia book?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 06:37:24 AM »
Gregg,
I have Giles book and I can tell you it is a great reference on early Virginia arms and acoutrements. It has one early pistol, four rifles, two fowlers, six muskets and numerous hawks and swords. Each firearm has the usual 3/4 view of each side plus angle shots of the top and bottom and also top and bottom views. He usually includes a full length view and shots of the forearms if there is anything to picture plus detail shots of any carving. These are all documented early Virginia rifles with excellent write ups about each one. They don't have any dimensions but the photography provides enough information to build an example of them. These rifles do not have much decoration on them but great early architecture. I like the book even at $100.

VP

Hemo

Re: Any reviews of Giles Cromwell's Virginia book?
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 06:03:08 PM »
Thanks, VP!

Gregg