Author Topic: Cracks in brass  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Jeff64

Cracks in brass
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:04:50 PM »
I have some small cracks in my trigger guard at the junction of the rear of the bow and the tang the extends rearward.  Guess I didn't anneal as much as I should have.  The guard still feels solid, doesn't feel like it's about to break.  Having said that my question is what should I do:

Fill the cracks with epoxy (maybe with some brass sanding dust mixed in)?
Fill it will something else?
Leave it the h@(( alone until it breaks?

Appreciate the help

Offline mark esterly

Re: Cracks in brass
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 11:55:02 PM »
silver solder. done right you"ll never see it.
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Online davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 03:30:03 AM »
Silver solder will work but I would open up the cracks with a file or a Dremel first.  Actually, me personally, I would throw that TG away and get another.  I would hate to spend a lot of time and effort building a nice gun just to have the TG go south at some inopportune time....and then have to get a new one to fix it anyway.

The epoxy thing wouldn't work at all.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 03:30:36 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Bill Raby

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 04:17:10 AM »
The proper way to fix it would be to weld it up. There will be oxidation inside the cracks so you have to carve them open first. But welding brass can be pretty tricky. If you don't know how to do it, you are best to just replace it.