Author Topic: Recommendations for a first build, anyone?  (Read 1905 times)

high_on_a_mtn_17

Recommendations for a first build, anyone?
« on: March 16, 2018, 05:39:32 AM »
I wanted to reach out to the experts out there for recommendations on a first build.

If someone approached you, and said, "I would like to build my first rifle" what would you suggest they start with? What would you suggest they not start with? This may be a very open ended question, but think of this person as someone who has tinkered with modifying guns, is well experienced mechanically, and has a good grasp of metal working and decent understanding of woodworking, and just has not quite taken the leap of building yet.

Also, this person is a nut for historical accuracy.... And he would like a smoothbore, so he can pick off timbering squirrels over a well trained cur dog with shot, and then switch to round balls for whitetails with the same gun.

Not gonna say who it is...  :D He reads this forum in awe almost every day, but he rarely jumps in and says anything.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Recommendations for a first build, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 06:07:39 AM »
I only have tree builds and a Kiebler kit under my belt; my recommendation is to get a stock blank, have the barrel inletted and ramrod hole drilled by and expert, buy all the necessary parts, a good set of full sized plans and build your smoothie.

I did one precarve and was disappointed in how much I had to correct to get the gun built, the two I built from a plank were much easier. I had the barrels inletted and ramrod hole drilled by an expert (Fred Miller).

I built a smoothie for my second build using the above advice.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:54:05 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:18:45 AM »
I think this may be your best bet for an easier build for a smoothbore.
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/GunKit.aspx/606/1/NORTH-WEST-TRADE-GUN-PARTS-LIST

Offline conquerordie

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »
I would say a Type G trade gun. You get to make the furniture out of sheet brass which is easy to form to the stock. Stock architecture is fairly simple to recreate. Nice patterns on Clay Smith website. A historical piece that can be used for hunting in the manner in which you desire. I sold mine to a reenactor, and regret it.
Greg

Offline tiswell

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
Jonathan,
      I have a question first. Nut for historical accuracy, to what time and place?

Thanks, Blessings, Bill

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
Jonathan,
      I have a question first. Nut for historical accuracy, to what time and place?

Thanks, Blessings, Bill

What tiswell said is probably the first thing you should think about in deciding on what to build.  A Northwest Trade Gun (if that fits your time and place) kit from Track of the Wolf, as suggested, would be an economical choice but I don't know how historically correct that kit is.  You might also want to check out Jim Chambers' smooth bore kits if you decide to go with a kit.  He has some very nice choices and they're better quality kits than those from Track of the Wolf IMHO.  Once you decide on what time and place you want the gun to represent, it will make choosing a gun to build easier.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline PPatch

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 04:14:30 PM »
Jim Kibler offers a smoothbore Lancaster style now. His kits are a snap to finish. Currently you can obtain a discount, an introductory offer, over what Kibler's Lancaster kit will sale for in the near future.

Jim Chambers has four nice smoothbore offerings which are historically accurate.  Jim offers: Pennsylvania Fowler, English Smoothbore, New England Colonial Fowler/Musket and a English Fowler/Officers Fusil.

Both of those gentlemen sell to the high end market for kits, money well spent if historical accuracy is your thing. Doing a kit gun will teach you a lot, when you've finished one you will know how everything fits together and become familiar with the architecture of the old guns.

dave 

Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
NW Gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 07:06:28 PM »
 I enjoy Hanson's Trade Gun Sketchbook (Leman, W. Chance, Belgain Burnett, Barnett, Sutherland, Sandwell: 
   & Pryor Mt. Bill Newton's  Trade Muskets or Northwest Guns (1770 Whately & 1830 Barnett)
Actual size blueprints and a lot of info for when I was the newbie. I believe both are out of stock so they would have to be acquired thru used book dealers or ebid.  they were cheep when new $5-10.00.   My first NW  build was  a replica of the 1777 Sandwell.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 07:24:05 PM »
I'm a virtual newb when it comes to building. I tried a generic longrifle first. Did the inleting mostly passable and the screwed up the buttplate. Removed all the parts that were mounted and now use the old stock for practice. Decided that a Northwest gun seemed a lot easier. Even with the short comings of the inlet stock I got it all together fairly well and its now a fun shooter.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:26:01 PM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 07:36:16 PM »
Get a Kibler,

I've done two of his Southern rifles.  I have two of the new ones on order.  I can not recommend his kits enough.  Most of it is done for you.  It is done very well, by building his Kit you see and touch a well made rife.  That will translate to later more ambitious projects. 

I have also scratch built built several rifles.  Unless you have experience and tools that will probably not go well for a first build.  I made pretty close copy of an Armstrong long rifle, even with 40 years experience that got very tedious.  I could see a beginner giving up.  I also did a Hawken recently.  I do not believe a person with limited or no experience could have done it. That particular build was very complicated and required thinking ahead in a 3-dimensional way.   I had to walk away for a time.  I ended up throwing away the stock provided.  It was defective.  I made a correct one from a plank.  Not beginner stuff. 

Conclusion, first build, Kibler. 

Good luck
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:37:18 PM by Scota4570 »