Author Topic: Mini Crtving Tutorial  (Read 4847 times)

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
Mini Crtving Tutorial
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:57:18 PM »
I started this rifle three weeks ago for a present to a 15 year old boy.  It was my intention  just build a very  plain rifle, but the devel got to me and made me add just a bit of carving.  It shows a little carving goes a long way.  I thought it might make a nice little tutorial at the same time.  You will see many gouges lined up close to my work but for this carving I will use very few.

The first thing I do is make a pencil drawing directly on the wood. 

I will match up a gouge to my drawing, sharpen it if necessary, and make a plunge cut.  I will also check and see if the same gouge will fit any other part of the drawing and if so I will also plunge cut that curve.

upload photo on website

These two knives I have shown you before.  John Bivens made one for me years ago and I use them quite a bit.

temporary picture sharing

It is very important to keep your work at just the right angle so that it is very easy  for you to see and reach  where you want to carve. My vises tilt which allows me get just the right angle to carve comfortably .

Your carving tools must be very sharp.  If you are not getting nice clean curls of wood when you make a cut, SHARPEN YOUR TOOLS.

A couple of days ago there was a conversation on this site about scrapers and how to make them and sharpen them.  I often just use a regular chisel to scrape the back ground  smooth,  sharpen it the normal way, and use that for my scraper.  I am not saying don't use a regular scraper but if you don't have one the correct size your chisel will do fine.

uploaded pictures

If you must use sandpaper, this is an excellent way to fold the paper.  I don't recommend using sandpaper once the leafs have been sculpted out.

Now using very sharp gouges you can sculpt some definition into your drawing.  Do not leave any square edges on the top.

upload gif image

Now there's your finished carving.  That took me three hours start to finish.   Now you just have to stain and finish and your carving is complete.

This is what the rest of the rifle looks like finished.

I hope this will help some new comers.  This is not the only way to carve, just the way I do. 

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Mini Crtving Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:23:12 PM »
David,
Quite a rifle for a 15 year old.  Hopefully that rifle will keep him interested in muzzleoading.  I had to laugh when you stated your intention was to build a "very plain" rifle.  I don't know how many times I have said the same thing only to veer of course.  I also have one of Bivin's carving knifes that I got in the late 1980's while taking one of his classes at WKU.  My carving knife is irreplaceable.  It has been used on every gun I have made, carved or not.  I like your little worn out knife.  I need to make me a smaller one. 
David

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:50:41 PM »
I know it's off topic but that border on the tang and breach is a goal I haven't reached yet but love to see.

Thanks for the carving tutorial also!

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:05:08 AM »
Dang man, dang. That's what I'm talking about. You guys make it look it easy.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:17 AM »
Hi David,
Thanks so much for the thread. I use some carving tools shaped very much like your "Bivens" knives.  It is fascinating how certain tasks ultimately evolve tools that look similar despite independent origins. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 02:10:36 AM »
  David thank you!!!!!! I have several book's a couple DVDS. An your tutorial has made more sence to me than all the rest.
  Where I use to steer away from carving on a gun. I think I will dive right in!!
 Thanks once again...Oldtravler

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 02:31:12 AM »
"It was my intention  just build a very  plain rifle,....."

Yup just a plain rifle!!  I wish my very best work could come even near to that.
Mike Lee

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 02:36:25 AM »
That is an impressive tutorial, thanks for sharing.

n stephenson

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 02:53:34 AM »
Nicely done ! Thanks for sharing!  Nate

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 02:49:38 PM »
David, what a great mini tutorial. Those little carving tools are the "cats meow". I would like to make a couple of those if you or Mr. Rase could kindly give a person a few pointers and elaborate a bit on the cutting end. By the way, your carving is fantastic!  Mikeh
Mikeh

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:25 PM »
 "The first thing I do is make a pencil drawing directly on the wood."

I need a tutorial on how to draw like that.

As always well done David, Thanks for posting.

Tim C.

Maineshops

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »
Great post. I wasn’t going to attempt carving on my build but after seeing your work I believe I’ll attempt it. Thanks for your efforts. Dan

Offline t.caster

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 04:29:42 PM »
Dang, David, you are such an artist, just for the layout of the leaf work, and then you are an excellent wood craftsman on top of that!
Your carving is your signature!
Nice "simple" gun, LOL
Tom C.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 07:08:04 PM »
Simple. Laughing here, that is some fine "simple" craftsmanship David. Thank you for sharing your techniques.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 08:12:12 PM »
That was GREAT, David. I am not interested in carving, but was enthralled/riveted to the process.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 08:12:43 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline acorn20

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2018, 09:09:36 PM »
Nicely done David! Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:11:08 PM by acorn20 »
Dan Akers

Offline dogcatcher

LOZ

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 03:30:53 AM »
Thank you for sharing you work and methods. I have heard the term stabbing in used also to make a caving stand out better when it is stained. Could you or anybody explain this to me? Thanks.

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 05:22:55 PM »
Oldtraveler and Mainshops,
I am very pleased to hear that you are going to try carving a rifle because of my mimi tutorial.  I have found that instructions with pictures is the easiest way to learn.  I would suggest that you go to my web site, click on the welcome space where I have my books listed.   Just google up The Flintlick shop.

I called Woodcraft yesterday to find out if the steel blank  for makeing that little carving knife was still available.  The person that I talked to said that it wasn't but he thought that it was just  a cut off tool for a metal lathe.  I am attaching a picture of two that I have here just to show you what I am talking about, but these two are too wide.  A half inch one is what you need.   They should be available from any machine shop supplier.  Notice that these tools are tapered, perfect for sharpening.

Coopersdad,
I justy sharpen mine flat on each side with a  diamond stone,  then  a ceramic stone, and then a leather strop.  It is very important to have  a curve on the cutting edge.

photo sharing sites no sign up

Dave Rase,
I am sure that you cherish your knife as I do because it came from John Bivens.  I am going to refer to this knife as the John Bivens Carving Knife from here on,  I don't think John would mind.  I think Dave Blaisdale has one also.

Loz,
After you "STAB" in the cut around the design you must lower the background so that it appears that the carving is above the surface of the stock.  When you add the stain it shows up even better.

Thank you all for the nice compliments.

David Price

Offline Mikeh

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 07:10:05 PM »
David, thank you for the info. and the pic's of those carving tools. Much appreciated!  Mikeh
Mikeh

LOZ

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:29 PM »
So stabbing in does not mean to cut in slightly deeper around the carving perimeter so the stain will darken around the carving?
I have carved around the tang and the rear thimble so far and I’m not sure if the cravings are complete or if I need to to something else before the stain is applied.

Offline Timothy88

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 11:16:40 PM »
The boy who is getting this rifle should be very happy!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 11:46:06 PM »
So stabbing in does not mean to cut in slightly deeper around the carving perimeter so the stain will darken around the carving?
I have carved around the tang and the rear thimble so far and I’m not sure if the cravings are complete or if I need to to something else before the stain is applied.

Stabbing usually means making vertical cuts when first laying out relief carving.  But, yes, one can stab after carving is done to make the carving “pop”.
Andover, Vermont

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 12:56:42 AM »
I have two of those Bivins knives tha came from a friend of John.

Offline Adrie luke

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 05:01:26 PM »
Your carving is your signature!  T.Caster

He gave the most beautiful compliment!
it is your stile of carving and I like it very much.
It looks so easy but........

Adrie