General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

The turning ball.

(1/3) > >>

beleg2:
Hi,
This is my first post in this forum, I forgot to change so was a little concern about the other forum stillness.LOL

I cast some .58" round balls yesterday I found some of the turn as I cut the sprue.
Is it normal?
I have the same experience with an old .50 mold but I thought that was because it was an abused old mold.

Also, what about rolling the ball between to hard surface to "erase" the sprue mark?

Thanks
Martin

William Worth:
I think what you are saying is that as you cut the sprue, the ball rotates slightly within the mold?

Check the balls produced for roundness, otherwise, I wouldn't think that it would matter.

Daryl:
I haven't noticed any truning in the mould if the balls and mould at the correct temp and allowed to solidify properly before cutting. A sharp sprue plate is necessary as well. I've had to sharpen almost all of my mould's sprue plates.  This can be done an a flat surface with crocus cloth and cutting oil.  The chamfer of the sprue cutter also needs smoothing on some moulds.

beleg2:
Thanksfor the answers.
It is a all new Lee mold (both are Lee molds)
I will try to sharpen the sprue plate.
Daryl, what is a "crocus cloth"?
Can I use wet/dry emery paper?
Thanks
Martin

Daryl:
Crocus is listed on the pachage as being 800 grit. It's on an emery cloth backing, and is red in colour.  To me it acts closer to a 1500 or even 2000 grit.  Use it with a thin cutting oil or even something like WD40 if you don't have "Rapid Tap' cutting oil.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version