Author Topic: What typifies a Chunk Gun?  (Read 2377 times)

ClaudeH

What typifies a Chunk Gun?
« on: March 22, 2018, 06:37:03 PM »
In the thread on the upcoming York Shoot, WadePatton mentions that he does not yet have a chunk gun for that match.  That comment and similar ones beg the question:  What is a chunk gun?

I have the nebulous concept of a long-barreled, plain, southern-styled (which also begs a question, but at least not Golden Age Pennsylvania styled) rifle, possibly with special adaptations of the fore-end to stabilize it on a chunk.  But what is it, really?

I know I could look to the NMLRA rule book (or other match rules) to establish certain legalistic parameters.  And I know virtually any style of rifle might get shot over a chunk.  But the term seems to encompass both mechanical characteristics and stylistic ones.  So...

Online okawbow

Re: What typifies a Chunk Gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 08:23:20 PM »
Most dedicated chunk guns have a long, heavy, match grade barrel. It seems the average caliber is between 45 and 50, but everything from 36 - 58 , and even larger is seen. I’ve seen a shooter place very well with a light weight 45 cal. Lancaster Co. style rifle with regular sights.

A flatter style butt plate is advantageous.

Most serious shooters use a hooded front pin or square blade front sight. The rear sight must be a square or 1/2 round notch. Shaders and cant blocks are allowed at most shoots.

One of the key things for shooting a good string, is to have a sighter target that works well with your sights, so you can see that you are on target every time.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 10:16:50 PM »
 The rear sight must also be a minimum of 6 inches from the back of the barrel. It can also have (besides square or u-shaped) a vee shaped notch.
 You must also shoot patched round balls.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 10:18:20 PM by okieboy »
Okieboy

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 02:45:15 AM »
You can certainly shoot just about anything at the York, so long as sight rules are met and PRB is used.  (PBR's for later)

I specifically want a top-grade bore, and heavier bbl than I'd ever likely carry. Sights to suit me/my sighter (to be developed) and a chunk riding forestock, in fairly plain wood, and othersuch tweaks to suit my notions of match gun.

I also have a notion of making the gun such that I could swap the bbl for shooting pickets in the long-range matches (and different sights).

If I had a few extra dollars right now, I'd go up there this time and shoot my deer gun, for the fun and groundbeef of it.  Just ain't that way at the present. I've been unemployed for a few months. My land sale will close next month, then I can breathe again.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:46:30 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Mike_StL

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 04:15:42 AM »
In the thread on the upcoming York Shoot, WadePatton mentions that he does not yet have a chunk gun for that match.  That comment and similar ones beg the question:  What is a chunk gun?

I have the nebulous concept of a long-barreled, plain, southern-styled (which also begs a question, but at least not Golden Age Pennsylvania styled) rifle, possibly with special adaptations of the fore-end to stabilize it on a chunk.  But what is it, really?

I know I could look to the NMLRA rule book (or other match rules) to establish certain legalistic parameters.  And I know virtually any style of rifle might get shot over a chunk.  But the term seems to encompass both mechanical characteristics and stylistic ones.  So...

Simply it will have the heavy match barrel.  Rifling will be deep and in a rate of twist and caliber to support the 60 yard range.  You want shaders for the sights to eliminate glare on the sights.  Double set triggers for the light trigger pull.  Flat butt plate and stock architecture for shooting prone.  Often a cant block or a flat section on the fore stock to rest the rifle on the chunk of wood.  Small levels have been incorporated in the cant block, but that is more of a confidence builder than real aid. 

Any rifle that can be shot accurately in the prone position off a chunk of wood as a rest can be considered a chunk rifle.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »
Bill Large had what he called "an across the log match"for years and I think
it still may occur in October.I have seen fairly heavy long barreled rifles with
sight shades used on the few times I attended.I won it once in 1958 with the
short 58 caliber rifle I made for offhand matches shot in Lucasville,Ohio into
the 1960's (I think).IF I were going to cobble together "Log Gun" it would be
straight stocked much like an Enfield military rifle with a shotgun butt and
not the extreme drop Classic Style in 45 caliber.I have in my shop a picture
of an "across the log"match from about 1903 and everything from muzzle loaders
to what appears to be Model 1892 Winchesters.The shooters ranged from geezers to
8 years old kids.
The match I won in 1958 was in October but before that I attended with Turner Kirkland
a match in Tn. at Charlie Hafner's range but didn't shoot in it.I did help Turner sell parts
and managed to buy an apparently unfired Starr percussion revolver for $50.
I worked for Turner in the HOT Summer of 1958 and after coming home to WV Bill had
his shop operational and gave me the first octagon 58 caliber barrel and I finished the rifle
just in time to use it in the match I won on his range.
If a good turn out can be had these are fun shoots and that's the way they ought to be.

Bob Roller

ClaudeH

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »
Thanks to all of you!  You did clarify my impression of Chunk Gun.

I already grasped the long barrels and the high evolution of the sights.  Heavy barrel I was more hazy about.  I was not clearly associating straight stocking and a relatively flat buttplate, although it certainly follows from other prone shooting I have done.  I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for examples of the fore-stock adaptations.

I want to give this sport a whirl, but my Italian Hawken seemed awfully anachronistic.  I bought a rifle on this site that has more appropriate style, but I think the stocking is well short of optimum.  It will be an enjoyable gun nonetheless.

Bob Roller:  I want to say how much I enjoy your replies on various topics.  Combining your knowledge of times, places and persons with your technical expertise really adds depth perception for those who are new to this culture.  Last June I picked up a bundle of Muzzle Blasts from some early year - maybe 1962 - and I was surprised to see your comments come up in those pages just as much as around this site.  You are a treasure to our community!

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 04:23:07 PM »
Thanks to all of you!  You did clarify my impression of Chunk Gun.

I already grasped the long barrels and the high evolution of the sights.  Heavy barrel I was more hazy about.  I was not clearly associating straight stocking and a relatively flat buttplate, although it certainly follows from other prone shooting I have done.  I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for examples of the fore-stock adaptations.

I want to give this sport a whirl, but my Italian Hawken seemed awfully anachronistic.  I bought a rifle on this site that has more appropriate style, but I think the stocking is well short of optimum.  It will be an enjoyable gun nonetheless.

Bob Roller:  I want to say how much I enjoy your replies on various topics.  Combining your knowledge of times, places and persons with your technical expertise really adds depth perception for those who are new to this culture.  Last June I picked up a bundle of Muzzle Blasts from some early year - maybe 1962 - and I was surprised to see your comments come up in those pages just as much as around this site.  You are a treasure to our community!

Thank you so much for your kind remarks about my rants on this forum and in Muzzle Blasts of years long
gone. I have been blessed over the years with a good wife,two fine and now middle age sons and 5 grandbrats.
I will be 82 this coming Tuesday,March 27 and have had a lot of experiences that I can still remember and draw
on when needed and I am glad to be able to share them for what benefit they can be to others.Being close
to Bill Large and E.M.Farris were real stimulants to my interest in black powder guns of all kinds. Before I met
"Red"Farris and Bill Large I came across Raydon R.(Don)Thompson in a little garage in the Harveytown section of Huntington
WV where we live. He had two Model "J" Duesenberg cars in that little shop and they stirred up a life long interest in grand rank
automobiles that lasts until this minute. Vintage aircraft is another interest and I was in a local flying club from 1977
until 1985 when Avgas went way up and we had to curtail that activity.I worked in aircraft maintainence for a while at
a local airport and in Ohio and again for Island Creek Coal Co. taking care of their two planes,a Lockheed Lodestar and
an Aero Commander 680.The Lodestar was heavy and I thought it ate too much runway getting off the ground but
the Commander was a hot rod that climbed up and out like a homesick angel with the two Lycoming 340hp engines
it had.I remember the first time I landed it.The perspective was like a VW Beetle and when the main wheels touched down
and the power reduce the nose would start to settle and I always looked at the 3 lights to make sure all 3 wheels were
down and locked.
Getting back to black powder guns,I am grateful for my time with Bill Large and Mr.Farris and to others who encouraged me
to keep up with the lock making and skills required to make them.These skills have served us well and I was hired to be
the foreman in a revived optics manufacturing shop as a machinist/tool maker.This lasted from Sept.1985 until Oct. 1986
and I started  on the day after Bill Large was buried.After that a babbit bearing shop that didn't like my attitude toward
thieves robbing the company.Got fired and proud of it.Looking back,It's been a good run without too many potholes in
the roads traveled.Rant for March 24,2018 finished.

Bob Roller