Author Topic: Cosmoline (grease) cleanup?  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Skychief

Cosmoline (grease) cleanup?
« on: March 22, 2018, 02:55:42 AM »
I brought a rifle home today and the bore and breech are covered with cosmoline.  I brought a bunch out of the breech with a scraper.

I'm wanting to remove all traces of the grease.  Would acetone be a good solvent for this?  I've got plenty of it on hand.   Any other ideas for a better solvent?

Thanks for the help, Skychief

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Re: Cosmoline (grease) cleanup?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »
I stuff/shove paper towells everywhere and warm it all up with a heat gun, barrel pointed up, cosmo drils out. Gets most of it, then I use whatever solvent or fluid handy. Some use keosene, but wear gloves if acetone - as instantly absorbs into your skin.
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline kudu

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 06:55:16 PM »
wd -40 but it takes quite a bit, 
I really like WD-40 for alot of stuff I even Like the Smell.  I buy a Gallon can at Menards when on sale for about 18.99 , I use it in the bore when storing the gun , and coat the out side of the gun also. never had any Rust.
as a matter of fact I coated some fine modern shot guns last night and put them in the safe.
I shoot most of my stuff often some guns "real often" it stores pretty good  in my opinion.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 07:29:46 PM »
I would second WD40.  I think it's lousy as a lube or preservative (eventually turns varnish-like) but it's absolutely excellent for cleanup chores of this sort without dealing with toxic inhalation or nasty skin exposure.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline PPatch

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:34:18 PM »
Mineral Spirits: absolutely.

Soak the parts for 15 minutes if you can, then use an old toothbrush, shop towels or paper towels, and compressed air to blow out the dissolved grunge and used spirits. When finished. A light coat of oil when done.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 08:06:02 PM »
If hands get sticky with stock finishing oil, WD40 cuts it off almost instantly. I literally wash my hands with it, then wash with soap. Love the stuff - so many uses.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline oldways

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 10:08:18 PM »
You can use a hair dryer and those blue shop towels from Walmart or a auto store. heat it up and wipe it off.

Offline Old Salt

• All gave some. Some gave all
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 02:15:04 AM »
If you can remove the barrel I would use gasoline
All gave some Some gave all

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 05:03:53 PM »
 I’ve never seen muzzleloaders, or their parts, preserved in cosmoline. I once examined an old muzzleloader that had been stored with it barrel filled with melted tallow. And also examined some locks and triggers stored by an old gunsmith that had been dipped in melted bees wax, but never cosmoline.

Hungry Horse

Offline Skychief

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »
I used acetone on the bore and it did fine. Left an amount sitting at the breech for about twenty minutes and scrubbed the bore good after scraping the breechplug face.

Clean as a whistle.  Thanks for all the replies.  Much appreciated.

Best regards, Skychief