Author Topic: How does Olde Eynesford compair to Swiss?  (Read 2656 times)

m1garand_man

How does Olde Eynesford compair to Swiss?
« on: March 29, 2018, 08:19:33 PM »
I have been shooting just Olde Eynesford so far in my rifle but am unable to purchase more locally. I can however obtain Swiss. I'm using FFg in my 50 cal and it seems pretty clean for black powder and definitely uniform.

I have heard that one may have to bump up their load with Swiss to get the same performance. Is that true? Also how consistent (granulation) is it and how clean is it compared to what I'm using now

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: How does Olde Eynesford compair to Swiss?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 08:49:22 PM »
I’m pretty sure the Swiss is the hotterof the two.

Hungry Horse

Offline Herb

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:18:51 AM »
I have tested and chronographed Goex 3F, 2F, Olde Eynsford 3F, 2F and 1 1/2F against Swiss 2F and 1 1/2F in .50, .54 and .58 caliber rifles.  Just click on my name, then click on "show posts by this user".  Some comparisons are in "Testing a Short .58 Leman Elk Rifle" February 11, 2018;  "Working up a .50 Antelope Hunting Load" September 11, 2017; and "Re Swiss 1.5F or 2F" August 31, 2017.  The Olde Eynsford 2F and 1 1/2F are wonderful powders.  Can be ordered by mail from Bear River Powder, Evanston, WY, phone  Craig Kirkland, 307-679-0886.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:02:37 AM by Herb »
Herb

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
Please do not make posts that reference cartridge guns or revolvers, they are against form rules.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Longone

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 02:49:11 PM »
I recently tried some 2f Swiss and can say that clean up was a breeze. Only fired about 20 shots using LVL no wiping between shots and without a doubt the rifle cleaned the best it ever has. It also shot the best but will have to take it out again to confirm. Once may be a fluke, twice, you may be on to something.

m1garand_man

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 05:13:58 PM »
Please do not make posts that reference cartridge guns or revolvers, they are against form rules.
Dennis

Just curious, did someone do that? Or was this more of a reminder?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
IMHO OE has a price advantage that the slightly increased power of Swiss can't make up for.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2018, 09:15:48 PM »
I think IF you were interested in guilt edge, ie: the very best accuracy your rifle will deliver at long range, Swiss would be the powder to use IF & only IF it gave more consistent velocities than
other powders.
For a non-bench-rest, non-chunk or non-plank competition round ball ML, I seriously doubt there is any advantage at all to using Swiss BP - and especially if you are not using balls the same size or larger than the bore with a thick denim patch that demands a good skookum short starter and "the" force's help to get it started.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 01:19:06 AM »
Dennis

Just curious, did someone do that? Or was this more of a reminder?

Yes I removed two posts that did not meet our rules. This is getting to be a problem. Evidently our members don't bother to read our rules or just don't care.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

m1garand_man

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2018, 10:45:44 PM »
So far I don't have any problems with Olde Eyenesford, Just problems with my personal learning curve when it comes to wringing the most out of this rifle. It's a fun experience so far though.

I saw powder inc has some good prices. I'll have to make my next order through them. Then I can mix and match and see what works best. Thanks for the help.