Author Topic: Iron furniture  (Read 2388 times)

TinStar

Iron furniture
« on: May 19, 2009, 06:10:20 AM »
On another forum a member posted a pic of a longrifle with iron furniture and it was gorgeous; and it make the nice wood really stand out. My question is; did any of the famous makers use iron furniture on their guns at times?

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Iron furniture
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 06:15:54 AM »
Hi Tinstar,
Welcome to the board.
I'd say that depend on the style rifle you are talking about and your definition of famous.  Most guns made here in the hills of TN were all fitting with iron hardware. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

FG1

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 06:55:53 AM »
Bean and Gross built iron mounted rifles .

54ball

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »
 If you are interested in historical accuracy, good rule of thumb is iron trimmed rifles are seen post 1800.  Makers like the Beans, Bulls, Gillespies and of course the Hawkens were known for their iron mounted guns. Some used a mixture of brass and iron at times.  All of these makers mentioned above are southern or western of origin and were active from 1810-1870.  I may be wrong but some mid century 1830-1860 Pennsylvania made Henry and Leman trade rifles can be found with iron furniture.
 An 18th century longrifle is almost always trimmed in brass.  Very very few examples of iron trimmed 18th century rifles exist and the ones that do are debated.
 An iron trimmed early Lancaster makes a striking rifle, but if historical accuracy is your main concern it should be trimmed in brass.

TinStar

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 03:21:32 PM »
Thanks 54ball. I am hoping to build a Lehigh style rifle in the future and you answered my question spot on. Once again thanks!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!