Author Topic: where can if find .....  (Read 7121 times)

brokenflint

where can if find .....
« on: May 19, 2009, 04:47:54 PM »
Anyone know where I can view original rifles by Jacob Dickert or Isaac Haines?   Are any of the ones in RCA in museums or are they in private collections?    Thanks

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: where can if find .....
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 05:56:03 PM »
Don't know where you are, but the PA Historical Society Museum, in Harrisbug, has the classic Issac Haines rifle shown, and described in the books. Not sure about Dickert rilfes.
Dick

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 07:10:45 PM »
I saw a nice J. Dickert at the Alamo, in the old North Barracks Museum, behind glass, in 2007. Supposedly it was used in the battle, who knows? Not supposed to take pictures in there.
Tom C.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 07:25:40 PM »
Don't know where you are, but the PA Historical Society Museum, in Harrisbug, has the classic Issac Haines rifle shown, and described in the books. Not sure about Dickert rilfes.
Dick

As far as I know, the PA historical society museum doesn't have any longrifles on permanent display. I emailed them several times asking how to get access to their collection, but got no answer, Do you know something (or some one) I don't?

Dale H

flintman-tx

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 08:02:11 PM »
Regarding the Dickert rifle at the Alamo...there seems to be some question as to it being restocked, etc. I think that there would be something on this in our archives.

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 05:52:47 AM »
Hi Dale-I would think that as a publicly supported institution and museum, they would be obligated to give access to the collections. It would seem that it should be possible to make an appointment well ahead of time and then have the opportunity to see them. If you don't hear or your request is denied, it would be appropriate to go higher (the governors office?) to make your case.
They may be nervous due to the fact that the Haines, other rifles, artifacts and CW swords were systematically stolen some years ago (by a Society employee) who sold them outside, to a friend. Most things were recovered, but probably not all.
This is why I am no big fan of public ownership of sensitive materials such as these,  given the huge bias against guns among the cognoscenti of public employment.
Good luck!
Dick

Michael

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 02:29:04 PM »
Brokenflint,

You might try the people at Landis Valley Museum. They have some guns on display in the gunshop but like many museums most of the collection is in storage. Another collection to check is at Rockford Plantation in Lancaster Pa. This collection is part of Henry Kaufmans collection, however I don't know if it is still there the exibit was closed the last time I was there and they said it was going to be sold or returned to the family. I schmoozed the staff into letting me in to see the collection and there is definatly some nice pieces there.

Michael

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 03:22:32 PM »
Dick and Dale....my wife is a former employee of the Pa. Hist. & Museum Comm.....curator of Decorative Arts.   I have a
name to contact if we would like to view the collection.  Personally, I would love to do it.  If you want, I will set up a date
so that we could do it.   I can remember when they had about 16 guns on display, in cases with plexiglas on either side
so that you could view both sides.   I recall a great John or Peter Moll rifle...bright barrel, and the finish appeared to be
varnish, it looked like you could pick off a piece of finish with your fingernail...beautiful gun.   I do not remember an Isaac
Haines rifle.  If you want, I can pursue this and let you know.   Are you guys still working, or would any day of the week
work for you?................Don

brokenflint

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
Thanks all for the replies, I'm going to try and see if I can view some of these this summer if possible.  Don think we could arrange something around Dixon time frame?  I'm planning to make the trip from the south this year and if I can work out the side trip I will.

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »

This is why I am no big fan of public ownership of sensitive materials such as these,  given the huge bias against guns among the cognoscenti of public employment.
Good luck!
Dick

Boy is THIS true. Some history museums are virulently anti-gun, or have people making decisions who are.
Couple this with employees who are clueless and stuff gets misplaced etc etc.
Those who live in PA you should write some well reasoned letters on the importance of the rifles to the Society trying to get the guns back on display. If this does not improve things then go to the politicians.

If out of sight they are more in danger of being sold off or stacked in some corner gathering dust. Might not be  bad idea I guess ti sell them to someone who cares. But its easier for people like me to see them if they are in a museum.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Online Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 06:07:44 PM »
Thanks all for the replies, I'm going to try and see if I can view some of these this summer if possible.  Don think we could arrange something around Dixon time frame?  I'm planning to make the trip from the south this year and if I can work out the side trip I will.

Becoming a member might help as well.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
Are you guys still working, or would any day of the week
work for you?................Don

Unfortunately, I still need to work for a living, so weekdays are tough for me. A Saturday would work, or combining it with the trip to Dixon's in July would also work. But, yes, I am definitely interested.

Do you know if they allow photography?

Dale H

Offline jim meili

• Wisconsin Muzzle Loading Association
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 09:24:18 PM »
Several years back I viewed a nice Jacob Dickert rifle in the museum in downtown Lancaster. It was in the same room as some beautiful period made furniture. Worth the admission just to see the furniture. The gun was up on the wall with nothiing around it for protection.