Author Topic: Virginia rifle poi shift due to humidity?  (Read 8120 times)

m1garand_man

Re: Virginia rifle poi shift due to humidity?
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2018, 04:32:10 PM »
You seriously need to write a book. A lot of this data could be very useful to others. I know I would buy a book about long rifle load development.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
My first thought for m1garand_man was to ask, "what is the temperature difference between days when the rifle was dead-on vs 5" high".   

But I think the fouling vs humidity issue is key.  I have noticed on very humid days that my bore fouls up much faster and thicker.  This fouling can (I suspect) lead to higher pressure and faster velocity, thus resulting in variations in elevation of the group.

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Mad Monk

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2018, 07:12:46 AM »
You seriously need to write a book. A lot of this data could be very useful to others. I know I would buy a book about long rifle load development.

I had thought about that.  I wrote a lot of that up in individual papers as I did the work and passed them on to the powder importer I was dealing with.  There was more I wanted to do but gave up after some of the comments made about my work on other message boards.  I felt the time and effort just was not worth the nasty stuff I was getting from the arm chair experts.  You might want to look on Tom DeCare's web site for his Lehigh Valley patch lube.  I gave him a bunch of my writings and permission to use them.

But a book is out of the question at this time.  I am 76 years old.  In my younger days I worked in a tire plant and various synthetic polymer operations.  The tire plant benzene exposure finally caught up with me.  Last year I had a total bone marrow failure.  Now running on transfused blood and platelets.  But for how long ??????

Bill K.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2018, 05:35:58 PM »
Bill, sorry to hear this. Will be keeping you in my prayers.
Andover, Vermont

m1garand_man

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:17 PM »
Benzene is some nasty stuff. One of us will have to redo some of this work and put it to print some time. The army keeps me too busy to do any writing right now. Another buddy of mine wants to collaborate on a book about our combined 23 years of experience working with small arms repair for the army. I'm not sure when I'll get around to that project.

I hope you are still able to get out and enjoy life some more as well as pass continue to pass on your invaluable knowledge.

Thanks Bill!