Author Topic: Patch Knife  (Read 5022 times)

Offline Carper

Patch Knife
« on: March 11, 2018, 09:43:39 PM »
Kodiak Baptist Mission Knife Shop.  The one thing we have in common whether using these old rifles for hunting, target shooting or building is we gotta eat.

Offline Elnathan

Re: Patch Knife
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
Nice. Is it really a patchknife, though, if you are using it to eat, instead of a small utility knife?  :o  ;D
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 10:36:20 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D.... Breakfast of Champions,... !!!!

Black Hand

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 11:26:42 PM »
What are those weird pink things...?

Offline retired fella

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 03:39:11 AM »
I've seen those before.  Those are deer fingers. ::)

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2018, 12:45:30 AM »
Ritz Cracker and Vienna Sausages.  Can't beat that combo.  My mom used to sit those out for us when we'd ride our bikes back from the beach.....starving of course.  As sandy as we were, I don't blame her for getting something in us before we hit the shower.  I am sure they aren't good for me, but that taste takes me back to being a kid again.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline J Henry

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 01:49:22 AM »
  Just needs a slab of yellow onion and you have a meal fit for a King. I like Horse Radish with mine to.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 04:48:46 AM »
Still one of my favorite snacks!  I prefer a touch of Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ sauce with mine   ;).

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D... Here in Tennessee, nobody knows what Vienna sausage is ..... now if you say," Vi-innies" ,... everybody understands,...!!!,.... Sweet Baby Ray's sounds good, but I like dipped in mustard,... ,, OH,... and That is a great lookin' patch knife too,... !!!

Online Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 07:30:35 PM »
;D ;D ;D... Here in Tennessee, nobody knows what Vienna sausage is ..... now if you say," Vi-innies" ,... everybody understands,...!!!,.... Sweet Baby Ray's sounds good, but I like dipped in mustard,... ,, OH,... and That is a great lookin' patch knife too,... !!!

We called them Viney sausages growing up in south central Kentucky.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 04:34:15 AM by Clark B »
Psalms 144

Offline JBJ

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
Cades,
You've got it! Vi-ennies = plural, Vi-enner = singluar. And it is a fine looking knife!
J.B.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 04:13:49 AM »
Y'all hill boys tearing me up !! I was 35 before I ever understood it wasn't vi inny saushitch !! And, the smell of em and the taste takes me back . Late marine bro and I would dine on a meal such as this at ronnyvoos and primitive camps. We usually had pepper jack cheese,and LOTS of Beer !!!
 I am looking for a similar patch knife for my gransons first pouch. Fine little blade. Best regards, Dave 8) 8)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 03:32:48 PM »
 Arn't they just potted meat fancied up, which by the way stays on a cracker better and shaped so it will stay on a stick if you want to roast one?

Tim C.

PS: Neat little knife. TC

Black Hand

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 01:41:17 AM »
Arn't they just potted meat fancied up...
I've never seen meat look like that...
Maybe its the same stuff they use to make "chicken" nuggets.

Offline Carper

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 10:35:49 AM »
 Vienna Sauage the lunch of champions... thanks for the compliments on the little knife. This particular one was made for the gun writer Sheriff Jim Wilson and the washer on the butt crown is coin silver in the shape of a star for Texas, his home.

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »
That sure is a purty little knife!  How many knife makin’ apprentices ya got up there?

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Carper

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 08:49:45 PM »
Thanks for the compliments. We have a few boys and myself and another adult . We work the shop during the long darkness of winter but only a few evenings a week as well as Sat. So we don’t have a large production. These knives have been very good to the Baptist Mission. I would say they paid to feed two horses for kids camp.  Demand exceeds production. We grind the bevels so really the only forged part is the tang extension. We do two styles on with the blade cut from a sheet of 1080 the other the blade fashioned from used blades off our band sawmill. Those remind me of the Geeen River type blades you used to see so often at matches.  When we started to make knives here I wondered what design would be the best to sell. I shamelessly copied the Woodbury style knife made famous by Hersel House. Using a sheet of steel let’s me keep the cost down. Not nearly as cool or as well made as the HH knife but they serve our purpose and poor folks can afford them. A special thanks to a man I never met. Hersel House.  You are helping kids up here in AK find Jesus and didn’t even know it.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 12:07:25 AM »
Neat knife for a great cause.   :)

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 01:10:45 AM »
 Thank You for what you do.

Tim C.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 04:28:04 PM »
Well done sir!  Many thanks.

I am glad Jim Wilson is getting a nice knife.  I have always enjoyed his writing. 

God Bless,   Marc

Offline Carper

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »
I like him too. Just because a fellow writes about guns does not mean he really knows guns. Sheriff Wilson knows guns and their application. Besides all that he is a gentleman which is solely lacking in our modern world.  Here is a picture of Sheriff Jim Wilson at the SHOT show with the little patch knife and Mexican style sheath I made for him.

upload upload

wvbuckbuster

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 03:59:06 AM »
Hey John that is some fine looking work! Miss you here in WV but know you are following your heart. Keep up the good work, Dan.

Online BOB HILL

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 04:37:42 AM »
Thanks for the great work you are doing here, Carper. I’m sure these kids are gaining a large amount from this experience. I’m also sure that you are.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry