Author Topic: Wheatcroft 2 grove rifle  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Dan Fruth

• D Fruth Flintlocker
Wheatcroft 2 grove rifle
« on: April 05, 2018, 07:08:33 PM »
   I found this little piece while surfacing the web. Very nicely done early 19th century English rifle.
http://www.aagaines.com/guns/wheat.html
The old Quaker, "We are non-resistance friend, but ye are standing where I intend to shoot!"

Offline Majorjoel

Re: Wheatcroft 2 grove rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 07:41:31 PM »
Interesting that they claim the stock wood to be of sycamore, but it sure does look like curly ash to me.

A very nice "take down" stock design as well!

Thank you Dan for sharing this very nice unusual rifle with us!
Joel Hall

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 07:56:00 PM »
Very interesting. The Templar cross, and the Masonic compass, do appear to share the top of the barrel. The origins of this piece, and the history of when,  where, and for whom, the barrel was produced would certainly interest me. Thanks for Sharing.

Hungry Horse

Offline okawbow

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 01:33:24 AM »
Interesting that they claim the stock wood to be of sycamore, but it sure does look like curly ash to me.

A very nice "take down" stock design as well!

Thank you Dan for sharing this very nice unusual rifle with us!
Acer psudoplananus,  is called sycamore in England. Sycamore maple in the U.S. It is a slightly softer maple sometimes used in violins.
As in life; it’s the journey, not the destination. How you get there matters most.

Joe S

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 01:34:30 AM »
Acer psudoplananus, is called sycamore in England.

I was curious, so I looked it up, and learned that "In Scotland, sycamores were once a favoured tree for hangings, because their lower branches rarely broke under the strain."

Huh. I suppose any tree that's good enough for a gallows is good enough for a gun stock.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 02:23:31 AM »
What we call a Sycamore Tree would be called a Plane Tree in the UK.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:21:58 PM »
Joe,

When they ran out of rope, they would hang folks in the forks of trees. Maybe sycamore was good for this, as the branches fork evenly.  We favoured them for catapults. (slingshots)

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 04:55:42 AM »
No one asked me, but I'd say it is ash as well.  A very interesting piece, in light of our English fowling piece thread.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 05:25:08 AM »
Would that two grove barrel be considered the Brunswick style of rifling even though its only a 40 cal?

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 05:10:08 PM »
It has to be ash in my mind.

Smylee, Hard to say about Brunswick, as this may have been made  before the Brunswick was issued.  (most likely)
The stock shape gave me pause.   Inspired by someone who had been in the Americas  it would seem.

Most odd!

n stephenson

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 05:37:22 PM »
Thanks for posting, very neat piece. That rear sight is something !  Is the front sight being so close to the muzzle normal?  Nate

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2018, 06:07:11 PM »
Very nice rifle.

Interesting that they claim that the pan was brazed to the plate at the time of manufacture.  Supposedly it was to eliminate the need to forge the plate with the pan as one unit.  If I were doing it that way the pan would fit over the plate like a Siler and the joint would be invisible.  Instead a part of the plate has been replaced with a joint that shows in the middle of the plate.  The boss where the lock bolt goes appears original to the lock.  That would have needed to be forged with the plate, so why braze on the pan if you can forge that boss?  The whole thing looks recently polished. 

Could it be a well done re-conversion?

I still think the price is fair either way.