Author Topic: Percussion Double Rifle  (Read 1291 times)

jamned

Percussion Double Rifle
« on: April 15, 2018, 06:17:33 PM »
Recently acquired this double rifle in about 38 cal. Rifled barrel 32 1/2", the letters "H G" in script on top of barrels. Half stock, Gloucher locks. Can anyone attempt an ID on this one?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Percussion Double Rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:59 PM »
Many of these were made after the Civil War. This one appears to have been made in the East. They were very popular in California right after the war, and several western gunsmiths made them. The triggerguard appears to be a replacement. The lack of any kind of a nosecap is puzzling as well.

Hungry Horse

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 09:57:09 PM »
A lot of the double rifles were made in areas where, after the Civil War, there were still bears and other large game that often required more than one shot to stop them...Michigan and upper New York, and lower Canada produced a number of these...but they were made elsewhere as well, even in Kentucky where I collect. I think the guard is original and OK on this double rifle...note there are no pin holes in stock so wood screw attachment is original to gun. The very high, strong comb is more often found on southern guns, and the large moon inlay in the butt, behind where the cheekpiece would normally be, is often seen on southern guns...North Carolina and Kentucky come to mind. 'Unfortunately, these later weapons are less distinctive and harder to place, despite the neat comb inlay and barrel initials. Shelby Gallien

jamned

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 03:56:31 AM »
Thanks for the reply's. I was hoping to find it was made  by a Michigan gunmaker. Jim.