Author Topic: Newest Flintlock Build  (Read 4956 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Re: Newest Flintlock Build
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 10:26:30 PM »
The tricky part about building these Philadelphia / Bethlehem school guns is making them so they are not cheek slappers.  YOu never really know the answer to that question until it's done, and you have it at the range. What sort of loads are you using, and is it one?

Well... the stock profile was/is Northampton.  I deviated from the school with the addition of a patchbox the original of which was mounted on a flintlock swivel breech built by C. Horn circa 1810.  I checked for information on that builder in the books I have on the subject, but, other than Schippers book, found no references to the gun maker.  I think he resided in Pennsylvania, though, since engraved on the original patchbox door is a Penn. Dutch bird.  There are other features that deviate from the Northampton school... so, "contemporary" it is.

I shot it offhand with a charge of 55 grains 3f, .535 ball and .015 patch, and although the stock has a lot of drop, didn't experience cheek slap.  In a couple of weeks I'll up the charge when I shoot it out to 50 and 100 yards and I'll see how it goes...

Decker

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 01:30:25 AM »
Thats fine by far.
Eric Smith

Offline Mr. Bubbles

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2018, 01:50:18 AM »
I think cheek slap is largely a product of not enough drop at the comb, along with too square a transition to the rollover part  If there isn't enough drop, then you are forced to cant your head to get a sight picture, and the corner of your cheek bone is against the corner of the rollover.  If the dish in the cheek piece isn't that great, then that also forces you to cant your head. 

Plus, if where you mount the gun still has a lot of upward angle heading toward the breech, when the gun comes back that will raise the comb too.  My last Lehigh was a Stophel Long semi-carves one I got from Dave Keck in 50 cal..  All of the above were present.  It acts mild enough up to about 55 gr, but much above that and about 4 shots is all I can take before a bruise starts developing.  I would still hunt with it and use 110 gr charges though.  1 shot and 1 slap per season isn't that big of a deal.  At the range it is though.

My current build is a Jacob Kuntz in 38 cal with a 48" A-weight barrel.  I'm going to be hard pressed to load it up enough to make an 83 gr. ball generate enough recoil for any kind of a slap, even if it's prone to want to.  That said, I DID put a bunch more drop in it at the comb, so that I could mount it with my head erect and sight it more easily.  Those low original sights are not easy to use even in the best of circumstances.

Offline acorn20

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 02:17:49 AM »
Very nicely done...well executed build. 
Dan Akers