Author Topic: J.S. Long barrel  (Read 1502 times)

tokashikibob

J.S. Long barrel
« on: April 17, 2018, 02:45:09 AM »
Hello Gentlemen,
     I picked this over the weekend mainly to study it a bit as I've never had a rifle this long.   I did find the letters J S on the barrel.  Is that significant?   Stock has seen better days, as has the lock, but at one time must have really been a beauty.   Any info or direction / links would be most appreciated.

Best regards,
  Bob

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: J.S. Long barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 04:55:09 AM »
Any evidence it was originally a fullstock
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 05:41:56 AM »
What is the barrel length and what area did you buy it in? Has a little Jamestown School
Look to it.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline Hlbly

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:53 AM »
Jabez Stevens, Jamestown, NC, 1860-ish.

tokashikibob

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »
Jamestown N.C. makes sense as I bought it about 20 miles from there from a collection of a man who was into local Guilford Co. historical items.   I believe I measured the length of barrel at 43 inches last night.    Thank you all for all the comments and information.

Best regards,  Bob
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 05:47:25 PM by tokashikibob »