Author Topic: Peter Angstadt Rifle  (Read 14375 times)

Offline 44-henry

Peter Angstadt Rifle
« on: May 21, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
I can't remember if this is allowed or not, but there is a neat old  rifle available on gun broker with some good photos if anyone wants to take a look.

Offline VP

Re: Peter Angstadt Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 03:39:06 AM »
Thanks for the info. I always like pulling the pictures into a file for future reference. I hope some of the more knowledgeable members can identify the maker.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
Where would one find it?  After 15 pages of Thompson Centers and cheap Pietta pistols, I found nothing.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

timM

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 08:28:32 PM »
Use "Kentucky" in the search box.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 08:53:58 PM »
I'm having no luck finding the rifle either.  Can you post a link?
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

timM

flintman-tx

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »
Is the gun worth 9 grand?

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:54:33 PM »
I believe it's worth every nickel of $9000, which I do not have naturally.  What a great rifle to add to or begin a collection!  Thanks for the link.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 10:58:49 PM »
Very neat.  Absolutely MY kind of gun.  But alas, I shall have to be content with photos, and brief encounters with guns like this.  I'd have to work six months to pay for it!

Judging from what little I have seen for sale, you could probably get a similar gun for maybe a little less.  If I'm not mistaken, I've seen a similar Angstadt gun go online for something like $5900, and I believe the "Stoeffel Smith 1794" gun (I believe that's the date.  The one with the writing in silver inlay on the barrel) went for about the same amount a few years ago.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 12:46:55 AM »
By the way, it's a surprisingly good and USEFUL set of photos.

Is that lead poured into the end of the nosecap???

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 01:15:12 AM »
Is that lead poured into the end of the nosecap???
It might be but I would be inclined to think its end grain wood.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 01:28:16 AM »
I thought the same thing, Chris.  Takes care of crappy nose piece inlets, eh?
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 01:32:17 AM »
Is the gun worth 9 grand?

The question is irrelevant.  The real question should be is there someone who is willing to pay $9K for it.  In many ways, it is auction price that determines value.  Just because Joe Blow thinks it is overpriced, there are many who have enough discretionary income to buy it and not blink an eye.  Watch the car and motorcycle auctions sometime.

Every time the "rich" get involved in a hobby it soon prices the average guy out of the market.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

msmith

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 01:42:24 AM »
Like anything something  is worth what someone  is willing to pay for it.The rifle is not on there someone  may have bought it.People who have modest incomes may blow 4 to 10 grand on a 4 wheeler,or some other piece of junk.I would rather pay 4 to 10 grand for a piece of history ,that is a one of kind,so would a lot of persons.Many of them frequent this site.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2009, 02:09:31 AM »
Since the forearm has been replaced from the rear RR pipe forward, the muzzle cap treatment is a bit immaterial.

I'm not opposed to replaced forearms, but for that price you could get one that either has the original forearm, or a good replacement.

Ha TOF, you crack me up! The Kentucky rifle market, for good guns, has been priced out of the average guys price range since about 1950! Sure you could buy a great gun then for 5K, but that average income was only about 15K.

John
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 02:22:04 AM »
Where do you get the idea that the forearm was replaced? The stock had cracked right in front of the rear pipe. I can assure you that the forend is genuine. Poor old Peter Angstadt. Been dead for 150 years and still has his word dissed  ;)

Offline lexington1

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 02:23:36 AM »
Oops, meant work not word!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 03:33:29 AM »
I deleted the last comments because they were only my opinion.

I noticed on the sale site that Lexington1 is the seller, so assume it's the same person posting here. He's the owner of the rifle and knows it's condition, so I apoligize for commenting otherwise.

John
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 05:33:09 AM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline lexington1

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 06:27:29 PM »
I apologize for not saying anything about the Angstadt while it was on auction, but the last thing I wanted to do was to use this board to draw attention to my own auction. I love this forum and wouldn't want to abuse it in any fashion. I know in the pics the Angstadt appears to have had the forearm spliced, but I have had this apart to check on the work and it is the original wood. The really straight looking line on the lock side is a surface mark and doesn't go all the way through. The other major looking area that goes all the way around is an actual break. The forearm is actually seperated and there are all sorts of crooked wavy grain patterns that match up perfectly. That would just be impossible to do if the forearm was pieced together.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 06:33:10 PM »
I tried to view the pictures but, alas, they are no longer there... 

Lexington1,
Would you please consider sending the pictures of your rifle for inclusion in the ALR Virtual Museum?  I'm sure it would be most appreciated by all here.  Thanks.

Submissions should be sent via Email at either <parifles@earthlink.net> or <nordata@earthlink.net>.   Much more info on posting in the  ALR Virtual Museum is available here http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=2195.0

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2009, 01:09:16 PM »
Dang John, driving a boat in the fifties must have paid well. 15,000. a year indeed.  In centeral PA the average farmer or factory worker made 3-4 grand a year, but nice longrifles could be picked up for 50-150 bucks, and sometimes a lot cheaper.  A nice "tirty tirty" Winchester was about $45.00 with the old octagonal barreled ones going for $35.00, of course they were in "dumb cals." like 38-55 etc.   I hit the road in 1966 as a young Trooper making $6,200, and was really in the chips....so we thought. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
I don't make a whole lot more than $15000 now...   :P

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »
Ha Lucky, I was just a kid in school then, so maybe I was off a bit on the average income. I was just trying to point out that then fast cars and beautiful rifles were a bit beyond the average Joe income, just like they are now.
For a dumb klunk like me, boats are a good job as they pay well, and only requires that you spend half your life at sea. ;D
Life is just a matter of prioritizing.
John

John Robbins

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2009, 12:48:16 AM »
I'm still able to view the photographs. That's a handsome rifle--or is it really a smooth rifle?  I've been staring at the muzzle and I can't decide whether that's lead or pewter or just wood showing in front of the brass muzzle piece. Is it an optical illusion, or is the bore slightly off center with the thinner side up? My wfe can't believe that I just spent twenty minutes poring over these pictures. I told that was just a preliminary looksee! ;D

Thanks for posting these photographs.
                                                                                            Dan