Author Topic: A Southern Longrifle Article  (Read 4376 times)

david64

A Southern Longrifle Article
« on: July 26, 2008, 05:09:30 PM »
This article is taken from the June 1976 issue of Muzzle Blasts  magazine. I thought that others might like to read it too.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: A Southern Longrifle Article
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 06:03:27 PM »
There was an LW McInturff who worked in Unicoi County (upper east TN) - according to John Rice Irwin's book he, like many others in the mountain regions, supported the Union in the Civil War and formed a compnay of volunteers.

That is a neat gun - looks to have  some "Gillespie" in it to me.

Guy

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 07:04:26 PM »
Jerry Nobles mentions this rifle in Vol. signed on the barrel "McInturff Defies the World".  Wonder what that meant? 
He attributes it to McInturff Jr.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:43:23 AM »
David,
Thanks for posting the article.  It's before my time and I had never seen it.  I have filed away.  I see Gillespie like Guy does except for the lock plate and trigger guard with the tiny curl.  Both I have seen on upper E. TN guns. 

I love the grease hole.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:19:03 AM »
That is a neat gun - looks to have  some "Gillespie" in it to me.

Guy

I see Gillespie like Guy does except for the lock plate and trigger guard with the tiny curl. Ken

Well I do too! I have only seen oval shaped grease holes on Gillespie's and somewhere I have a photo of a signed Gillespie with a trigger guard that is very much like that one. I will dig it up later and post a photo of it.

Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson