Author Topic: Differences of the Woodsrunner and Feather Rifles  (Read 10190 times)

Offline jcmcclure

Differences of the Woodsrunner and Feather Rifles
« on: May 12, 2018, 05:57:49 PM »
I may be losing my mind, but I was sure these were two seperate guns and not one in the same. I asked a friend recently and he was sure these rifles were one in the same that had been given differing names by various persons. At one point I thought I had pics and reading information on the two seperate guns, but I have only been able to find pics and info the the gun that has been affectionately known as the Woodsrunner.

I know there are a few guys here on the forum who has done contemporary versions of the rifle and maybe better able to answer my question...are these one in the same, or infact two seperate rifles.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
Re: Differences of the Woodsrunner and Feather Rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 06:36:56 PM »
They are TWO separate rifles.The Woodsrunner is an earlier rifle than the Feather.The Feather gun resides in PA and other than a few old photo's (and some rubbings) floating around out there is unpublished.

Mitch

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:42:20 PM »
I thought that you may have the answer Mitch. At some point I seen pics of the rifle...it's been a few years, but I was certain I had.

Are there any contemporary pieces of the feather gun that have been done. I know Fred Miller once offered stocks built in that profile.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »
I think Dennis the owner of the forum did one a while back.There are probably others out there.Fred Millers pattern was taken directly from the Feather gun.He had access to it when he did his pattern.I believe Dave Keck has those patterns now.Reeves #10 buttplate and Trigger guard are also from the Feather Gun.

Mitch

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 06:59:22 PM »
Here is the actual woodsrunner rifle courtesy of Mr Dan Fruth a true gentleman who supplied me with a pattern and these pics so I really dont think he would mind me showing them here. I hope to be handling a version of this by late fall

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 08:04:18 PM »
I'm in love. 

I gotta find out more!!

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »
I got to handle this gun several years ago.  It's pretty neat.  I will say, though, that you would not believe how crooked everything on this gun is!   ;D

The patchbox cavity is interesting.  It is circular in cross section, as if it were made by boring a large hole forward into the butt, with the side flat of the stock cut off to expose the opening.  The circular shape also made the "dovetails" to hold the box lid in.  Perhaps someone with more recent contact with the gun can explain it better or more correctly than me.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 08:34:10 PM »
At the risk of stepping on someone's toes (like I haven't done that before), this is the only picture I have ever seen of the "Feather" rifle.  I have no clue where I found it (probably here).

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 08:44:56 PM »
Patchbox of the Woodsrunner Rifle.

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 08:47:29 PM »
At the risk of stepping on someone's toes (like I haven't done that before), this is the only picture I have ever seen of the "Feather" rifle.  I have no clue where I found it (probably here).

I too have seen this one, but I was thinking there were others that appeared to have been taken at the same time.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 09:09:34 PM »
I'm sure there were more pictures of the feather rifle, but this is the only one I have ever seen.

The two guns are obviously similar, with a major exception.  The cheekpieces.  The "Woodsrunner" gun actually has a very nicely formed cheekpiece (though, in my opinion, the comb/drop is too low to take good advantage of it), while the "Feather" gun... well, it doesn't have a cheekpiece.  Much like on other guns where you apparently have an English gunsmith trying to make a German type cheekpiece, but they have no clue what a cheekpiece is supposed to do... so they make this little, low rectangular lump and stick it on the side of the stock and it does absolutely nothing.   :o

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 10:39:03 PM »
I thought that you may have the answer Mitch. At some point I seen pics of the rifle...it's been a few years, but I was certain I had.

Are there any contemporary pieces of the feather gun that have been done. I know Fred Miller once offered stocks built in that profile.
Dave Keck has that pattern now. Ed Rayl has the original barrel spec's, if I remember correctly it was 58 caliber. I have a casting of the original  lock plate (from Reaves G).

Oh one other thing, it has an unusual forestock (only ten inches between breech and entry pipe hole if I remember correctly)
Dennis
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:52:26 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2018, 12:53:17 AM »
Anyone have info on the Woodsrunner rifle?   

I can't find a whole lot.  Looks like from what I've found it's RCA #124. 

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2018, 02:08:22 AM »

It is not. RCA 124 is a different gun entirely, as you can see by comparing the photos Wattlebuster has provided for us in this thread. The Woodsrunner rifle is not included in RCA; however, Shumway did write an article on it with good photos and some dimensions in the October 1982 issue of Muzzleblasts, which is included in Longrifle Articles Published in Muzzleblasts, Vol. II, page 112 and following.

Another difference between the Woodsrunner rifle and the Feather rifle that hasn't really been mentioned is that the Woodsrunner rifle uses a roundfaced English lock, whereas the Feather rifle ha a flat-faced Continental style lock. I got this picture here long ago, I believe:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 02:09:15 AM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline jcmcclure

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2018, 02:27:54 AM »

It is not. RCA 124 is a different gun entirely, as you can see by comparing the photos Wattlebuster has provided for us in this thread. The Woodsrunner rifle is not included in RCA; however, Shumway did write an article on it with good photos and some dimensions in the October 1982 issue of Muzzleblasts, which is included in Longrifle Articles Published in Muzzleblasts, Vol. II, page 112 and following.

Another difference between the Woodsrunner rifle and the Feather rifle that hasn't really been mentioned is that the Woodsrunner rifle uses a roundfaced English lock, whereas the Feather rifle ha a flat-faced Continental style lock. I got this picture here long ago, I believe:

Thanks for the picture of the lock. I did not know it had a Germanic lock. We may actually be able to piece the gun together with the different pics that everyone has posted.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 03:44:33 AM »
Tjanx Elnathan!  Shows my limited search was off base...I'm not home to check RCA. But guess it's not in there anyways..any idea if/where I can find a copy of Muzzleblast? 

That gun just really does something for me...I'd love to find enough info to try to build one..

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2018, 04:37:35 AM »
Disregard my last...going to order both issues of Muzzleblast. Seems like they'd be very handy along with RCA.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 04:53:09 AM »
You can still get the collection of Shumway articles put together in book form (2 volumes).  A valuable reference.

http://www.shumwaypublisher.com/shop/category.aspx?catid=3

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 05:37:04 AM »
In the May/June 2003 issue of Muzzleloadermagazine, Peter Alexander had a good article with some illustrations of the feather rifle and compared it to other rifles of similar architecture.

In the January 2003 Muzzle Blasts, Wallace Gusler discussed the woodsrunner rifle with illustrations.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:40:12 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont