Author Topic: Here"s another one to look at  (Read 1696 times)

Offline JIM FRANCIS

Here"s another one to look at
« on: July 02, 2018, 11:41:55 PM »
Just got this one out of an old collection and at first glance I thought it was a western Pa. rifle but now I don't think so. It is stocked in walnut with a 36" barrel about 36 ca. Patchbox is all one piece plus the lid. It is completely unmarked. Would enjoy hearing some other opinions.  Thanks for looking.    Jim

Online Hlbly

Re: Here"s another one to look at
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 01:08:22 AM »
New York?

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 01:50:31 AM »
Hlbly,  You are the second person to say New York. An old friend who is not on this site but who's opinion I value also said he thought it was NY.  Thanks for your opinion.   Jim

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2018, 03:56:08 AM »
J m Caswell perhaps
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

galudwig

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »
Cool Rifle! If it has to be a capgun, it might as well be a Mulie! Would love to know the backstory about the dovetailed buttplate extension and why it is (I assume) iron?

Offline Longknife

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 03:48:53 PM »
I've seen a few butt plate extensions like that, the iron will not wear as much as brass.....Ed
Ed Hamberg

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 05:29:36 PM »
JM Caswell was an accomplished gunsmith, that made many of his own locks. He worked during the flint period, and into the percussion era, but this gun is late percussion, so he would have been pretty old when this gun was built. Caswell pretty good about signing his work also.

Hungry Horse

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 10:02:29 PM »
Very nicely photographed.  I find rifles like this to be quite inspirational. Thanks for posting it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline awol

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2018, 04:24:39 AM »
It looks very much the style of William Gardner, Canandaigua, NY. It could be by someone closely associated with him. It's a nice New York state rifle.