Author Topic: ... Visiting original Unicoi County TN rifles  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

... Visiting original Unicoi County TN rifles
« on: May 26, 2018, 12:49:05 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D... just spent a couple days wandering around upper East Tennessee and visiting some Original Unicoi County rifles ... was able to see and handle about four dozen guns, some of which have never been seen outside the family/owners, (who will remain anonymous) ....This area is rich in gun-making history, Sullivan, Washington, Carter and Unicoi County producing some fine Tennessee rifles by such as the Gross, Bean, Beals, McInturff, Lawing, Duncan, Harris and other families of gunsmiths,... I shall make three posts to share some photos I made of three of the most outstanding guns I saw,..(and there were many more),... First is a fine Wm, Lawing rifle,.. circa 1870,.....  Enjoy,... Regards, ...Cades Cove Fiddler

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 04:10:02 PM by Cades Cove Fiddler »

Offline scottmc

Re: ... Visiting original Unicoi County TN rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 02:22:09 AM »
CCF, thanks for sharing these.  It's times like this I wished I lived in that area.  You must have felt like u died and went to heaven.  I'm a PA guy that has an affection for the SMR's.  I'm building one right now that I made a tang just like that lawing that u show.  Keep them coming but let me wipe the slobber off my face before u post the next one😍
Remember Paoli!

galudwig

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 02:27:51 AM »
Lucky man to have gotten to handle so many fine originals. I really like Lawing's style.  That is a fantastic piece of curly maple too. That deep curve on the butt is amazing.  Makes you wander how it survived intact!  8)  Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see more!

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 03:06:13 AM »
Wow that's A fantastic rifle. Thanks for sharing it
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 03:06:39 AM »
 DVD you are one lucky guy to be so close to do many good places to see these guns. August my friend. Road trip time.!!  Oldtravler

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
 ;) ;).... Yes Mike, I am,... AND very fortunate to befriend so many who allow me to see their collections,...!!!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »
Dana you lucky ole dog keep them pics coming. There beautiful
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »
Thanks

Lawing gets me fired up.

Thanks for showing some that don't see much light.  I used to not understand the secrecy around some originals, but get it now and do MUCH appreciate the folks who get to see those guns and share some images with the rest of us who share great interest in them.

Thanks to the owners/family for playing along.

Hold to the Wind

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 12:38:30 AM »
Notice how Ambrose Lawing used his stamps. He used the 7 and L interchangeabley. The same with other stamps. As the years went by, he replaced damaged stamps. That’s how you can determine when the rifles were made. I have one of his first and one of his last rifles and used the  stamps as a way to determine the chronology.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline rsells

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 04:49:15 AM »
Were you able to get the measurements of the barrel profile, length and cal?  Great photo's and a beautiful rifle.  He is one of my favorite makers.  Thanks for sharing.
                                                                                     Roger Sells

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 05:00:59 AM »
Very nice rifle, Bro. I have a similar blank of maple,and some parts suitable for a similar style rifle. I first thought the wood to be too fancy for a SMR, but I see now it aint. All I need is a suitable barrl/ Thanks for taking the time to get with these folks. Was a jug o squeezins in the exchange ?? Orta have been. Thanks, Dave  8) 8)