Author Topic: Brian Barker .60 cal. Rifle  (Read 9900 times)

Offline sqrldog

Brian Barker .60 cal. Rifle
« on: May 30, 2018, 09:25:32 PM »
Last spring Brian visited for a south Alabama hog hunt. We had a great time and when Brian went back home he carried the lock stock and barrel  for a new rifle. The rifle is now finished and we're  waiting  on a break in the rain and drier weather and terrain for a return visit for his return this year to hunt hogs. He will bring the rifle to me then or I'll  pick it up at the CLA in August.
Specifications: All hand forged  furniture by Brian, Early Ketland by Chambers (one of my favorite locks) lightweight .60 cal Rice barrel. The rifle  isn't a copy of a particular rifle just based on the Brian's experience as a riflesmith and craftsman. All in all I think it is a great looking rifle. Tim

Offline Stoner creek

Re: Brian Barker .60 cal. Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:31:42 PM »
Them porkers won’t know what knocked them flat.  :o
Brian’s last two guns have been quite impressive.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Telgan

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:50:12 PM »
Sweet - .60 cal is my favorite these days. Could you tell us what the barrel measurements are - Or which Rice profile it is? How much does the finished rifle weigh just  out of curiosity? Brian builds an awfully nice rifle!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 09:51:59 PM by Telgan »

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:23:28 PM »
The barrel actually an oddball. It was supposed to be a barrel to fit a Chambers Mark Silver Va. kit. The breech due to a mistake is just barely over  an inch across the flats but swamped as a Mark Silver Va. barrel. It is 42" long. Jason had the barrel at the CLA a couple of years back and discounted it a little so I purchased it. I'm surely looking forward to holding her and shooting it. The weight of the rifle will have to be supplied by Brian. Tim

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:43:04 PM »
Nice looking gun.  It should flatten hogs for sure.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

n stephenson

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:52:57 AM »
Tim, Looks like Brian built you a Fine rifle!! Brian , I like the whole thing but, the finish and those beautiful mounts , are the icing on the cake , for me. Very nice job!!!   Nate

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 04:25:30 AM »
 Very nice gun Tim. Brian does very good work. Like everything about it. Thanks for showing. Oldtravler

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 05:19:41 AM »
Tom the rifle probably weighs between 7.5 to 8 pounds, my guess. It won't make your arm hurt if you carried it all day.

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 05:24:41 AM »
Tom the rifle probably weighs between 7.5 to 8 pounds, my guess. It won't make your arm hurt if you carried it all day.
But it might make your arm hurt if you double chugged that beast!!!! I love those big bores.
Stop Marxism in America

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
Great job Brian. Tim any hog should be honored to be shot with such a fine rifle.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 08:15:20 PM »
 What a Great looking rifle, the finish looks just right. Nice work Brian Is that a Yellow under stain in the PB?.

Tim C. (The one with the "R")

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 11:40:38 PM »
Fine looking rifle. Love the furniture and finish. A believable looking piece to me. Thanks for sharing.
 Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 01:21:05 AM »
That's a super nice rifle!  I like it a lot.  Very nice finish and overall feel.

Jim

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 04:31:07 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 11:13:16 PM »
Beautiful rifle and finishes.  That trigger guard is especially graceful. 

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2018, 01:44:36 AM »
That's a nice one....you're going to have a tough time choosing a hunting gun soon. Of course you could just pull a wagon along with you full of rifles. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2018, 03:10:55 AM »
Mike all I can say is "it is a really nice problem to have". I might add one you have contributed to also. Tim

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2018, 04:14:19 PM »
That is one NICE hog ventilator!  Congrats to both the riflesmith and the new owner...bet you can’t wait to smoke some bacon!

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 03:00:55 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments on Brian's rifle. Hunting hogs hard but they're mostly nocturnal right now. Heck the way my luck is going if I went to the supermarket they would be out of bacon. Tim

Online Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2018, 07:46:58 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments on Brian's rifle. Hunting hogs hard but they're mostly nocturnal right now. Heck the way my luck is going if I went to the supermarket they would be out of bacon. Tim
Better tape one of those tacticool flashlights on that gun. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2018, 08:08:14 PM »
May through August legal to hunt them at night I just can't  figure out how to attach a light to a flint rifle.😉

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »
Try having a helper hold one of those hand held spotlights from just behind your shooting shoulder. We’ve done that successfully while bow hunting varmints at night. Should be able to see the sights and the hog that way.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline will payne

• AKA dead eye/ Coder /Ethical Hacker
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2018, 01:26:01 AM »
You know what you can us patchbox for. Sneaking candy into a western or an eastern.
🕯
Will

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -Thomas Jefferson

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 05:46:02 PM »
Update! Brian Barker made this really nice .60 cal hunting rifle for me last year. I have fine tuned the rifle and it now shoots really well with 120 grains of 2f KIK (just the powder I have on hand) a .585 ball and thick canvas  patching about .0.025. Brian engraved a hog on the thumbpiece so I named the rifle Miss Piggy. Yesterday Miss Piggy brought home the bacon so to speak. Rain, cooler temps, and no pressure for two or three weeks and the hogs came in early. Miss Piggy went off before I could flinch and made meat for a Labor Day BBQ. Thanks Brian for a great rifle.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 05:54:43 PM »
Really sleek strong looking rifle. Good shooting and eating!
Andover, Vermont