Author Topic: Italian Kentuckian Flintlock  (Read 17492 times)

Offline yulzari

Italian Kentuckian Flintlock
« on: June 06, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
Not an example of a particular Longrifle but I am in possession of an Italian made Longrifle style flintlock. Named the 'Kentuckian' and marked to 'Intercontinental Arms Inc.' All in excellent order although with a horrid shiny plastic varnish finish. A good example of the 'in the style of' a Longrifle.

The given calibre is 0,44". What diameter ball might be suitable?

I have seen these attributed to Pedersoli or to Armi Sport. Can anyone give a definitive name to the actual Italian manufacturer?
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline Flint62Smoothie

Re: Italian Kentuckian Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 09:11:05 PM »
Flintlocks of 44 caliber sold as the ‘Kentuckian’ model are usually made and/or marked as being from Euroarms, but others like Jager may sell/mark them too. Similar to how Investarms sold muzzleloading Rifles under the Cabelas brand name (no longer) and as a Lyman brand.

Usually a 0.433” roundball is used.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 09:15:03 PM by Flint62Smoothie »
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 09:24:40 PM »
I’ve seen that other name you mentioned too, so maybe one bought out the other. Maybe you could contact Euroarms here: http://www.euroarms.net/euroarms_netcompany_file/summary.htm
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:44:21 PM »
Usually marked ahead of the lock:

Offline yulzari

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:20:51 AM »
Thank you Flint62Smoothie. That would be a ball to start with. There is nothing ahead of the lock on this one.

J.E. Moore

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 04:08:53 AM »
My Dad has one that he got from DGW back in the 80's . It's a cap lock with a 35" barrel. It's a good shooting little rifle, locks on them aren't the best in the world. Id say it will serve you well.

Offline yulzari

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »
The main spring and the hammer spring are both somewhat over strong and trials show it is giving the flint a hard time but the lock functions adequately. A little retempering and /or thinning may be in order.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 01:08:03 AM »
Had one of these years ago. It was dolled up like an early Leman trade rifle, that had been in native ownership for quite some time. It had shallow rifling, but after some lock tuning, and relocating the pivot pin on the trigger, it shot quite well. It needed a swabbing every few shots, because of the shallow rifling, but was quite deadly out to a hundred yards.

Hungry Horse

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 07:41:58 PM »
It's not a bad looking rifle and should serve as well as a fancy one.  8)
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline stubshaft

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 09:39:41 PM »
Looks like what Dixie wascalling the "Cub" back in the day.
I'd rather die standing, than live on my knees...

Old No7

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 03:30:58 PM »
Flint62, my twin, helped me sort out the issues we had with mine (now he has it to mess with...) which was marked as "EAA".  I had to have the frizzen rehardened, the tail of the frizzen reshaped, polished all internals of the lock, filed the back of the lock plate smooth/flat, and we installed a touchhole insert.

All that helped, but I could never get more than 75% reliability and it just took all the FUN out of shooting a rocklock... So I almost quit shooting one...

Finally, at my brother's suggestion, I upgraded to a nicer flintlock (a used JP McCoy) and now I am much happier shooting a flintlock that fires near 100% of the time.

I did learn a lot from all the work and hours spent on that one -- but I hope yours sparks much better than mine did.

For your info, L&R's "Maslin #1" RPL Lock (RPL = "replacement lock") should fit that gun, with just slight modifications for the tail of the lockplate, but I decided not to go that route...

Good luck!

Old No7

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 04:43:23 PM »
One has to take into consideration on how much a RPL lock will cost and how much the gun is worth. I put a RPL lock on a TC Renegade project, I used a new old stock barrel on the gun and a pile of collected parts but still had a bit more in the gun than it was worth because of the RPL lock cost.

Offline yulzari

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 02:49:00 PM »
Thank you for the information Old No7 but the cost plus postage to France and import duty would be more than the original cost of the whole rifle. Useful to know what will fit though.