General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Sight height

<< < (2/4) > >>

ironwolf:
 Based on mathematical ratio, 70 thou.  is the change you need to make.
I derived this  like this:

50 yds is 1800 inches
    Your 5" divided by 1800 is 0.0027777....  The correction factor/per inch
    Multiplied by your 25 1/2" is 0.0708313

Isn't this fun?

However for the reasons Daryl mentioned, don't take that much off your sight at once.  There are many factors other than sight relationship that affect point of impact.
  I normally only do that kind of math when building a new gun with untried sights, just to get on the paper.  All measurements are calculated from bore centerline.  And I always need to finish her off with the file at the range, just like Daryl said. but I'm much closer to start with.

Have Fun, Kevin W

Daryl:
I usuallly start sighting with  my sights dead even - then file a bit off the front to raise impact to the line of sight. 1/4" difference between them is a lot. Much depends on the load, of course, as higher velocity will flatten trajectory considerably, even though 100 yard velocity might not be much different.  Because the biggest influance in windage and trajectory takes place close in, a low initial velocity has more effect upo0n flattening the trajectory than one might expect.

Gene Carrell:
Front is 1/8" (0.125) lower than rear. Thanks to all. I think that I will install a taller front and reduce the  height of rear as well to keep overall height of front down. Back to the range Monday morning. Yes, it is fun.

T*O*F:

--- Quote ---Front is 1/8" (0.125) lower than rear.
--- End quote ---
Gene,
You didn't give your barrel profile.  Measuring the height difference requires different math for swamped and tapered barrels, as opposed to a straight barrel.

Gene Carrell:
It is a straight 15/16" bbl. OAL 40.5"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version