Author Topic: Black powder vs substitute  (Read 3506 times)

Offline alacran

Re: Black powder vs substitute
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 07:03:02 AM »
I have yet to find anyone using any of the substitutes that gets better accuracy than I do with Black powder.
I have belonged to clubs that are very traditional to clubs that aren't. None of the subs clean as easy as the "Black".
Most of the guys that I shoot with now, are shooting in-lines, with scopes, 209 primers etc. They spend tons of money on the stuff. Yet not one has shown me anything.
None of them can shoot of the bench better than I can offhand. At any range. Ain't saying that there aren't guys who can't. I just haven't seen them.
 In one club I used to shoot at, we let anyone that wished shoot an inline. Caveat being they had to use round ball,  open iron, and shoot offhand. Not many takers.
None of this technology is new, it is just more sophisticated.  All this so called improvements in muzzleloading is nothing more than marketing. I predict it will eventually give us the rim-fire and the center-fire rifle EGADS!!!
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2018, 07:58:38 AM »
Why shoot a substitute when you can shoot the real thing? Modern thinking has no place in our sport, the old ways are the best ways.

So you walk or ride a horse to your shooting range? I do actually.or do you drive your car with your modern thinking.
Get off your high horse  (I mean high toyota)

Actually I do walk. My range is on my property. No need to ride, by the time I put a rope halter on one of my horses I can walk to my range. I train all my horses to ride with a rope halter, the old way. Never had a toyota but I do favor my hot blooded Arabians.
This is the American Longrifles forum. Back in the day they shot real blackpowder. I see no reason to discuss or attempt to defend substitutes here. There are plenty of other places to do that. But if someone really wanted to learn something and not just stir the pot, then this is the place to learn it.
Personal attacks are so unproductive unless for self satisfaction. I get this High Horse thing a lot from the more modern crowd. I don't understand why an old man with a flintlock and black powder upsets people so? It's just my way, get over it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 08:16:11 AM by Darkhorse »
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2018, 03:28:03 PM »
There is enough history /past threads etc here to fully cover the attributes and draw backs of  various powders. Mad Monk has a complete article on this subject .   Some of the "subs" are corrosive, some are erratic in terms of power [ higher pressures than you may desire ]  , some draw moisture more readily than BP , some have less power , so lower velocities,
many don't have the long term storage capability of BP.  All have higher ignition temps than BP
Having shot in long range matches [ 1000 yards ] I believe that only BP has the accuracy potential to compete. Subs don't do it. Even  duplex loads [ smokeless + BP ] can't compete with BP .   So, basically, the only reason that you might want to use a sub is their availability [ dealers find them easier to stock ] , however, this is a rather thin excuse if you really want the best results from your long rifle.   
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 06:34:03 PM by bob in the woods »

Offline 45-110

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2018, 05:55:27 PM »
you can find blackpowder in most states, but it may take some doing. get in on a club bulk order, pick it up as you see it at gunshows as i just did. also find out who is supplying powder for the "big shoots" and have them bring your order to the event. i pick up my order every year at the Quigley shoot here on Montana. any of these methods are painless and will save you money on the shipping and you get exactly what you want.
best kw

Lead ball 54

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2018, 09:41:10 PM »
All great information thanks guys