Author Topic: Hugh Toenjes Shop Custer South Dakota/Bivins Rifle  (Read 1540 times)

robpack@Hotmail.com

Hugh Toenjes Shop Custer South Dakota/Bivins Rifle
« on: June 25, 2018, 04:02:51 AM »
Well, my wife and I made the 22 hour pilgrimage to Custer South Dakota from central Pa. last month.  We saw Mount Rushmore, Custer State Park, Needles Highway and ALL the beautiful sights.....  My wife and I took the John Bivin's Bicentennial PA 50 caliber flintlock..  We had the honor of having Mr. Toenjes "go over" the Bivins... He found a small crack in the spring that operates the frizzen, which he promptly fixed.  He gave the Bivins a "clean bill of health" and a letter explaining his work on the lock"  Mr. Toenjes showed us some of his work, which is absolutely amazing.  I wish I could of spent 5 days in his studio, we probably spent 3 hours there!!! Mr. Toenjes and his wife are wonderfully talented people. (his wife creates quilts as does my wife so they "picked each others brain while Hugh and I talked flintlocks)….  If you have never seen Hugh's work, do yourself and favor and check it out!! Absolutely amazing!! We hope to get back out to South Dakota sometime as it is AWESOME!!! The people are friendly, park is great, the accommodations were awesome, and the town of Custer was a blast.  So much wildlife, the weather was perfect! Probably the best vacation ever. If you are a mountain biker, it is HEAVEN!! The Mickelson trail runs for over 100 miles throughout Custer/Deadwood.....   Do yourself a favor, go there, its is REALLY worth the trip!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 05:02:26 AM by robpack@Hotmail.com »