Author Topic: Chuck Edwards on the Contemporary blog spot  (Read 4734 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Chuck Edwards on the Contemporary blog spot
« on: May 29, 2009, 04:25:02 PM »
Outstanding fowler, take a look. :o
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Roy S.

Re: Chuck Edwards on the Contemporary blog spot
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 05:14:14 PM »
Really nice..

Offline RobertS

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 09:04:09 PM »
He does great work, though I have to admit, I missed the Bible verse on this one-

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »
That is a dandy.  I have always admired Chuck's rifles but this is the first fowler/ Officer's fusil I've had the opportunity to see from him.  Man that blogspot has some serious eye candy.  I wonder how many keyboards I'm going to ruin with my drool?
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:25:11 PM »
Didn't know he was that versatile, mostly because I've only seen a few examples of his work, but he seems to really be conversant in the British style.
Andover, Vermont

jim m

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 08:38:10 PM »
I held one of Chucks rifles in my hand recently. first one I had seen personally. was a Virginia style with all hand forged iron furniture. the work on the furniture was outstanding

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 08:49:30 PM »
Chuck does a really nice job of blending traditional elements into his own unique style - you can also see a lot of Hershel's influence but he developed his own style rather than just copying House rifles.  You can spot one of his guns from across the room, sort of like Ken Netting and a few others. Chuck's guns that I have seen are sleek, well built and the few I've shot are good shooters.  His "barn guns"  are good examples of how a plain gun by a good builder can hold its own with anything and whether he makes them plain or fancy, whatever decoration there is is well done.

For you guys who like his work Chuck has a website and a photobucket site that has lots of detail photos of his guns, various styles.
http://longrifles.homestead.com/

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/wipingstick/

Guy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:32:01 PM by Guy Montfort »

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 06:09:20 AM »
I have handled, though not shot, several of Chuck's guns, and they are sweet. A coupla people I know who own Chucks guns won't shoot 'em. I guess they don't want to get them dirty.   :-\

Chuck is a pretty versatile artisan. I have seen some of his artwork in other areas that will knock your eyes out, so it is no surprise that he can make about anything anyone would want.

I nearly gave him a heart attack a coupla years ago. He was showing his latest creation to a group of mutual friends. I ask to see the gun, and handed my old GL Jones piece off  to Chuck, to free my hands. After looking over the really nice gun he had just finished, I said "good trade" turned on my heel and took about three steps. When I looked back, Chuck's eyes were as big a saucers. He didn't know what to think.  ;D

He breathed a sigh of relief when I handed his gun back to him.  I had the feeling that he didn't see the humor in our "trade".

« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 06:14:10 AM by J.D. »