Author Topic: Lost in Lehigh Land NOW FOUND!  (Read 8162 times)

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
Re: Lost in Lehigh Land NOW FOUND!
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2018, 08:04:19 PM »
   Mike very nice work. Sure like the stain. Turned out great.
So are you bringing it to the CLA ?  Hope to see it.   Well done !!
   Oldtravler

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
Just spent the last half hour studying the photos, trying to figure out what I like best.  Finally gave up and realized it’s the whole package.  Really nice rifle, Mike.  Think I’ll go back and look some more!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline PPatch

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:30 PM »
Somehow I have the feeling that you were never "lost" Mike, not like "lost in the woods" anyway. I think you were lost in the making, so involved in making Lady Lehigh there that you didn't want to be found.

She is beautymus from nose to toe. I keep looking at your gun and going wow!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »
Not bad work for an old chicken farmer.  Like Ed said, there is a lot to look at.  I especially like the finish.
David

Offline Stoner creek

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2018, 09:56:08 PM »
I can’t wait to see it!
Hopefully the gun will like it here at Stoner Creek and decide it wants to stay!!  ;D
Stop Marxism in America

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2018, 11:40:12 PM »
Mike, I truly enjoy the tang and fore-end carving you've done on her.  I had something very similar kicking around in the back of my mind, and you have clarified it well for me.

Envious of your skills and artistic abilities.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline KC

« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2018, 11:45:12 PM »
I learn something every time I follow one of these build threads by one of the pros here on ALR. This time, among many other things, I learned that a little mineral staining (I think you called it "ugliness in front of the patch box") is no reason to pass on a stock blank. That turned out to be a great looking rifle. Nicely done.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2018, 11:53:22 PM »
That's a beautiful rifle.  Everything about it is nice.  Is the below info correct to see the rifle in person? 

Friday, August 17, 2018 Show opens at 8:00 am until 7:00 pm Saturday, August 18, 2018 Show opens at 8:00 am until 4:00 pm Members only (Non-members may join at the show for a prorated membership fee of $20.00.) Location Grand Ball Room Lexington Convention Center 400 West Vine Street Lexington, KY

I believe that's correct. It will be there all day Friday. You can carry it around for a while if you want to. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2018, 11:55:16 PM »
   Mike very nice work. Sure like the stain. Turned out great.
So are you bringing it to the CLA ?  Hope to see it.   Well done !!
   Oldtravler
Yes, I and that gun will be there all day Friday. I'll have a nice Carolina gun with me for sale as well with a English walnut stock.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Online t.caster

« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2018, 12:10:42 AM »
YUM! That's just Delicious! And I'm trying not to say...w o w, but I couldn't help myself. Inspirational too.
Tom C.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2018, 12:17:39 AM »
I learn something every time I follow one of these build threads by one of the pros here on ALR. This time, among many other things, I learned that a little mineral staining (I think you called it "ugliness in front of the patch box") is no reason to pass on a stock blank. That turned out to be a great looking rifle. Nicely done.
K.C.
This piece of wood would win the Ugly Board Award at Dixon's hands down.  Those ugly spots popped up out of nowhere, then there are checks from drying all over this gun. One on the left side of the tang, another at the top of the BP on the left side, one in the wrist on the right side and a monster on the left side running above the box finial up into the comb hollow that the wire runs through several times. All of them are stable and will present no issues with the strength of the gun. IMO They actually lend themselves well to the antiquing.  I was aware of the checks when I laid out the gun, I thought they would "build out" for the most part as I went and they nearly did. I was aware of all of them and chose this piece of wood because I wanted a racey looking gun with out the distraction of curl. I've got a couple projects coming up that have super tight vivid curl coming up and didn't want to wear myself out on this one.

Mikecooper

« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2018, 01:53:19 PM »
Why the gaps between metal and wood at the end of the muzzle?  Wood to metal fit is perfect everywhere else.   You have the skill to make it perfect there too. 

Offline Sweeney

« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2018, 03:21:27 PM »
I applaud the beauty and logic in your choice of plain wood. The obsession with curl gets rather wearisome. Deformed, neglected blanks all over the Nation are celebrating! Looking forward to hefting that Lehigh at CLA.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2018, 03:34:08 PM »
Hi Mike,
Very nicely done!  I like the little extra drop at the toe. Your carving and silver wire inlay are very well done.

dave
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:38:18 PM by smart dog »
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
Why the gaps between metal and wood at the end of the muzzle?  Wood to metal fit is perfect everywhere else.   You have the skill to make it perfect there too.
My work is far from perfect, if it was I'd move on to something else. I  work rapidly in a workman like manner, which is what I see in old guns. All I can tell you is those gaps are exceptable to me, I could have easily soldered an end cap on and hid the whole end, but it just doesn't seem that important to me.
 It is what it is, no excuses.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 07:59:40 PM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2018, 05:36:10 PM »
Hi Mike,
Very nicely done!  I like the little extra drop at the toe. Your carving and silver wire inlay are very well done.

dave

That is brass wire and it was quite a struggle. Silver is so much easier to work with and gives far better results. With silver I cut off any excess above the wood with  very sharp wood chisel. With brass this doesn't work because it has work hardened just from the process of getting it into the stock, even with a couple annealings. So I had to file and sand it all down to wood level which left burrs here and there which really annoyed me since I spent all kinds of time tapering the ends which didn't show up well in the end. Also, for this particular school thicker wire was often used, I used .020 and might well have went to maybe .026 or .032. Re thinking this now,  I think I need to adjust my tools so they cut the groove a bit deeper so I can get the wire even with the wood surface, didn't occur to me at the time.

It is what it is. I think overall it came off well. I sure learned a lot, which is why I built this particular gun anyway.

Things I learned:

Lehigh architecture. I had the buttstock shaped three different times and each time thought it was good. Next day I go out to the shop and take off tons more wood. I think I finally got it skinny enough. Also I was experimenting with just getting the architecture over all right, all those weird profile curves, V shaped forend, little short cheek piece, diamond shaped wrist. I think I got it mostly right AND it's not a cheek slapper which was a big priority

I wanted to try this tapered brass wire thing they had going on in Lehigh. I think more experimenting might get me where I need to be with it.

I wanted to explore this particular form of incised/molded carving. I have never held an original done this way so I don't know if I hit it or not but I was pleased how it came out.

I was curious about the patchbox release mechanism, got that down.

Also was experimenting with the barrel finish but nobody made any comment about it so I'll assume it is acceptable.

I actually enjoyed the entire build which doesn't always happen. The wire was annoying at times and I had to walk away from it a couple times but hey, it's in there now! ;D There will be more Lehighs in the future!

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2018, 06:24:00 PM »
Mike, is there a particular table where you will be at the CLA show?
Mark Thomas

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »
I wanted to ask about the barrel finish but thought it might be a secret or I might be out of line asking those type of specifics.  How did you do it?  I'm debating on an in the white lock with a boiled black browned barrel or a cold blued rubbed back lock and barrel.  My goal with the rubbed back blued barrel was to get what you have.   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2018, 07:43:33 PM »
Mike, is there a particular table where you will be at the CLA show?
I'll just be stumbling up and down the aisles.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2018, 07:49:57 PM »
I wanted to ask about the barrel finish but thought it might be a secret or I might be out of line asking those type of specifics.  How did you do it?  I'm debating on an in the white lock with a boiled black browned barrel or a cold blued rubbed back lock and barrel.  My goal with the rubbed back blued barrel was to get what you have.

Laurel Mt. Forge browning solution. 2 coats this time instead of three. It's really been getting crusty with three coats lately and too much work to get back off. I left a lot of the brown on and mainly took it off the corners, still leaving a pitted texture on the corners. The browning that's left actually has a plum color in person which is what I after. I bashed in some nicks and dings along the way to add to the antique appearance.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2018, 08:03:07 PM »
Well, no comments other than I like it, a lot!
We need a, "show us your Lehigh's", thread.
Robin
There's a nice one that popped up on TOTW by Michael Hayes. Very nice and coincidentally, the same carving as mine. ???

Offline gibster

« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2018, 08:52:29 PM »
Mike - Are you planning to bring it to Princeton this weekend? Would like to get a look at it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #72 on: August 01, 2018, 11:27:14 PM »
Unfortunately , it looks like I won't make Princeton this time.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2018, 09:58:25 AM »
Beautiful rifle. That insized carving looks like a real Challenge.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »
Very bonny work on a very complex  build, Mike.
Very clean carving......it's just like you knew what you were doing!  LOL.

Never could work like "The Gunsmith Of Grenville County" myself.     He Measures stuff!  :-)

One of the cleanest builds I've seen, Mike.    Clever lad!