Author Topic: Don Getz #80  (Read 13434 times)

Offline Eric Fleisher

• E. Fleisher Shot Pouches
Don Getz #80
« on: May 30, 2009, 05:44:18 AM »
Here is Don's latest creation.

Three Getz Barn Guns Together

George F.

Re: Don Getz #80
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 03:19:33 PM »
Nice Work Don, Keep turning them out. ...Geo.

northmn

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 03:45:40 PM »
they are definitely plain basic rifles, but I like them.  Very tempted to plagerize the style.

DP

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 04:04:46 PM »
Good work Don. I'm working on one now that will compare with one of those, I'll post pics when it's done...of course it won't be all pretty like those. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 04:11:48 PM »
Nice owrk, Don- I really like those guns, especially the first, second and third.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 05:00:47 PM »
Wow, you mean to say these barn guns actually exist? Because I'd never seen one, nor a picture of one, just heard the talk, I thought they were simply the ramblings of a wannabe gunsmith. Lo! they really do exist!  ;D

Eric, thanks for posting the pictures. We'd never have seen them without your kind assistance.

On a couple of your shots, the gun is out of focus, and the background is nice and crisp. Try setting your camera on 'Center Focus' so you get the gun, not the background. The camera's autofocus will pick whatever it wants to focus on, no matter what YOU have in mind.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »
That 3rd one with the wood box lid must have come from a fancy barn.  ;D
Nice work Don, keep'um comin !

Leprechaun

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 05:22:12 PM »
That's very nice Don. Very nice lines. Of course, by gun #80, and living in the heart of longrifle country, you should know how to make a plain gun look sweet (and you certainly do). BTW, I see that you didn't put the front sight on backwards...that's good. Again, by gun #80.......
Zat a green mountain barrel on there?  ;D

California Kid

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:35:42 PM »
Don, knowing you I bet you have a lucrative little cottage barn gun industry going there.
Sort of stimulus guns. Nice clean work. Keep building!
Glad to see you found a competent picture poster or we never would have gotten to see these mysterious guns.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 08:38:16 PM by California Kid »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 08:53:57 PM »
 Dang Don just about the middle of the month you were 76 now your 80...Oh, I get it 80th Gun :)
 Very nice lines I really like em'.

Tim C.

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 09:44:45 AM »
Sweet lines. I really like these simple rifles. Hard to believe anybody would  leave that rifle in a barn, though!

Offline AMartin

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 03:20:12 PM »
WOW!!

Offline Mike New

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
Mr. Getz. Very nice!! Can you tell what  stain and finish was used on the top one?Without giving up any of your trade secrets of course. That's exactly the color I have been trying to get. Again very nice! Thanks in advance. Mike New.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 04:15:57 PM »
Right now I'm working on something a bit different, and something to give you all some ideas.   We had Bob Lepley shape
some Isaac Haines kit's...minus the side plate, trigger, and trigger guard inlets.  I'm going to do one as a "J.P.Beck"...am
fitting a buttplate right now.   It takes a little doing, but, we'll see what happens.  Might have to call it an "Isaac Beck",
sounds good.   Will keep you posted.........Don

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 04:20:13 PM »
Mike...the top gun was a gun that I built jointly with "Newt", a fellow that helps John during the winter months.....works
on a road construction crew.   A fun guy to have around.  The gun was stained with Nitric Acid....turned out a nice color.
Don

Offline Mike New

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 04:56:35 PM »
Mr. Getz. Thanks for the quick reply. You probably just sold a barrel. Mike New.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2009, 09:46:56 PM »
Don,  The guns a re beautiful. It is good you have a Friend!  who will put them on the site for you!! I think the classic PA architecture and simplicity make for a perfect first build for a new builder.  Getting all the basics of construction down before attempting anything fancier makes more sense now that I have 3 built.... I would be better off if I had listened to that advice in the beginning and done something like your working man's guns. BTW given that so many of the farmers actually used smooth bores....It would seem more likely to find an old musket or a fowler hanging in the barn, than a rifle.... don't ya think??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Roy S.

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2009, 12:24:27 AM »
I like them  ;D

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2009, 01:47:23 PM »
Very nice!!
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

jim moore

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
very nice Don !!!

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2009, 07:55:07 PM »
Don,

Nice work!  I just happen to have a terrific old barn behind my house, yet I have no barn guns to put in it.  Can you help me with this?  Just send me one or two and both me and the barn will be quite tickled.   ;D
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 12:51:35 AM »
Boy, Eric sure didn't get my good side when he took that picture.   As Tim said something, it made me wonder, maybe this
is gun number 76, and I'm 80....could be, feel like it sometimes......Don

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 01:17:51 AM »
 If you hadn't of said it I would have never guessed it. I hope I look as good, $#*! I hope I make it to 76!

Tim C.

cheyenne

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »
These are really nice rifles.....good job Don! :D

ghchristian

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2009, 09:33:56 PM »
Very nice Don!! I love the simple fowlers. I wish I had kept up with how many I,ve built. I did last year (33) but didn't this year. It,s alot lower than that, I guess becuase of the economy. Are those Silers or L&R Classic? I sure like your finishes! Keep up the great work.