Author Topic: Testing shows a something new  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
Testing shows a something new
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:04:31 AM »
Today I tried out some changes in my lock timing fixture to get ready for Friendship.  Up until now I couldn't time left-handed locks - now I can.  I used the Everly Siler, even though it's RH, to try out the changes in the fixture.  I did a dozen trials and found the average.  The fixture worked fine and the lock was flawless,  but a surprise showed up that had nothing to do with the fixture or lock.

First the lock's average was slightly better than my workhorse Siler which is an excellent lock.  The surprise became evident when I looked at the trials in halves.  Take a look:

1---.0443----------------7---.0482
2---.0453----------------8---.0510
3---.0441----------------9---.0492
4---.0402---------------10---.0547
5---.0461---------------11---.0524
6---.0452---------------12---.0509
-------------------------------------------------
----.0442---------------------.0511  Averages
----.0021---------------------.0023  St. Deviations

If all trials are considered together the average is .0476 with a st. deviation .00416

I thought it was interesting to see that while the two halves have very consistent standard deviations, the speed slowed in the second half.  There was no indication as I tested that the times were slowing.  It's not hard to speculate that we are seeing the deterioration of the flint. 

Perhaps as we fire flint guns, the edge deteriorates but we don't realize it until we have a hang fire or a misfire.  We always say, "I should have knapped my flint one shot sooner."  I'd speculate that we simply don't have the senses to detect this when it actually begins to happen.

This has shown up in a couple of other earlier tests, but in those test there were variables that prevented drawing an conclusions.  Here I feel we are seeing gradual flint wear.  This may be unique to this flint; I don't know.   I thought it was worth reporting.  This idea and 50 cents might buy you a Coke.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline trentOH

Re: Testing shows a something new
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:44 AM »
Maybe you could run a series of tests, not on a lock, but on their flints. It would be interesting to see if lock speeds increase for a few shots, then taper off, or if something else occurs.

"This idea and fifty cents might buy you a coke."  If I meet you at Friendship I'll buy you that coke.

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 04:31:24 PM »
Larry- will you be at Dixons?

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
Larry- will you be at Dixons?

Right now I'm uncertain.  Last year I went to the CLA show instead.  I'd like to do both this year but cost may be a problem.  My first trip to Dixons was in 07 - I'd sure like to go back.  Are you going?

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:48:25 PM »
Absolutely - have had my flights book since April. Both Taylor and I will be there. He's bringing his little .40 Kuntz rifle - you need to go just to see it. WOW!

Jeff Peters

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 02:12:52 AM »
Larry,
Thanks for posting the results We all appreciate the hard work you put in to this

Jeff

FG1

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:17:03 AM »
Larry ,did you find a large difference in time in relation to positioning of prime ?