Author Topic: Copying a Kongsberg 1772 pistol lock. Part3. the pan  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Copying a Kongsberg 1772 pistol lock. Part3. the pan
« on: July 25, 2018, 07:43:36 PM »
Finished the pans last week. They were a lot easier to do than the cocks and required no brass patterns. Just a few measurements with a caliper.  Each pan started as a chunk of steel 27mmx30mmx750mm.

Drill and cut away the corners.

Square up in the mill

Mill out the pan fence

Round the pan bottom to a straight sided 1/2cylinder.

Start sawing out the grove for the lock plate. Cut thin slices and break/chisel/file them off. This was the hardest part of the shaping. The grove must fit a round face lock plate. The bottom of the grove is 3mm at the top of the pan and 5mm at the bottom of the pan.

This picture shows the grove after sawing. As you can see the walls are straight. The bolster wall side is kept straight. The pan wall grove side must be slanted to fit the curve of the lock plate.  This is done with patience and needle files.

I was not able to get a tight fit all the way around. But this will be fixed later.

Next, I separated the pan apron from the pan. Mark off 2,5mm all around the and start filing.

A coarse half round file does the job in less than an hour.

Superglue the pan to the lock plate. Drill and tap the pan screw.

Heat, remove the pan, cut off the front part of the bolster.

Mount the pan on the lock plate, glue the front part of the bolster to the plate.  Drill three 1,5mm holes for pins.

The pins keep the front-end bolster in place during soldering. I used HI-FORCE 44™ SOLDER. This is a soft solder, not a brazing. I’ve kept the pins long. The plan is to remove this part of the bolster when the plate is to be case-harden. I’ll use the same solder to re-attach the bolster afterword’s. The pins insure correct placing.  The temperature should give adequate tempering of the plate.

Take a punch and peen the gaps between the apron and the plate shut.

File the apron clean.

Round up the pan nose and finish shaping the fence and the rear bolster.

Mount on the lock plate and mill out the pan.

It took about 14 hours to make a pan.

The next part will be the frizzen. That can take awhile. Finished my vacation last week.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: Copying a Kongsberg 1772 pistol lock. Part3. the pan
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 08:09:52 PM »
Nicely done!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »
Your skill is wonderful. 
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 11:15:06 PM »
Nice Job.  You certainly aren't afraid of hard work!

Jim

Offline ScottH

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:35:31 AM »
Inspiring work Rolf!
 :D