Author Topic: Pittsylvania County, Virginia rifle  (Read 800 times)

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
Pittsylvania County, Virginia rifle
« on: May 10, 2022, 05:31:30 PM »
Last night I found out who my 5G Grandfather was. He was a veteran of the Revolution per some data I discovered. He was from Pittsylvania County, VA. I read somewhere that county was formed in 1767 if my memory serves me correctly. Does anyone have a picture of a rifle or smoothbore or a link to a rifle or smoothbore that was built in Pittsylvania County, VA in the 1760s/1770s? Dr. Google has let me down. I do have a copy of Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle in Its Golden Age by Kindig on order and it may have one in it. But, just wanted to see if someone else out there could point me in right direction. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I just want to see an example. Thanks.

Offline backsplash75

Re: Pittsylvania County, Virginia rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 08:42:23 PM »
Greetings,
Not a lot in surviving well documented/signed iron clad Virginia made rifles pre 1783. Of those, the Klette (Culpepper) and Haymaker (Winchester) and Grace (location unkn?) are from a good ways off,  but there is always a commercial p42 ish Bess or a common English fowling piece in the mix as well for representative arms.

Offline olbuck44

• Starting Member
Re: Pittsylvania County, Virginia rifle
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 10:15:30 PM »
Thanks.