General discussion > Black Powder Shooting

Pedersoli powder charge?

(1/3) > >>

b bogart:
Can some one help a brother out here? I have a friend that has been shooting a Pedersoli .32 caliber flintlock the past couple Weds. evenings. He's had this gun for several years and just now is shooting it. Yea I encouraged him ;D He is curious as to a decent powder charge to start with the thought of producing good targets. Anyone out there shooting one of these? Even those that aren't have any good suggestions??
I would just be guessing, and hoped one of you can help me suggest to him!
By the way we have been shooting every Weds. for the past month. Now some others are beginning to join us. Even some of those suppository gunners show up for the camaraderie and to make fun of my shooting.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Bruce

Longknife:
Bruce, I can get good 25 yard accuracy with my little 32s' with as little as 15 grns. but I need to bump 'er up a bit to get a flatter trajectory out to 50 yds and more. (Douglass barrel) I have shot as much as 40 grns. with excellent results though, man,  she really cracks!!!!! Most of the time I settle for about 30 as it will shoot real straight at the target ranges and that is what I pop squirrells with too.  He will just have to experiment and see what his gun likes, they are all different and some are darn finiky (like womem). Good Luck! Ed

BrownBear:
My little Traditions Crockett (capper) will cloverleaf just about any charge you stuff down the bore.  I've settled on 20 grains of 3f.  One shooting pard has a Crockett as well and has settled on that charge as well.  An yet another has a Green Mountain 32 cal replacement barrel on his TC, and he's pretty well settled on 20 grains also.  Not for your flinter, but all our guns shoot Pyrodex P a whole bunch cleaner and more accurately than Goex 3f or any other sub.  We can go 20+ shots without swabbing using Pyro P, but especially with the Goex we're doing well to get more than three.

We do lots of informal shooting with these guns, but they're mostly for hunting snowshoe hare.  Accuracy is good enough for head shots out to near 50 yards if you can hold that fine.

Daryl:
Brownbear- there's a bunch of us up here who feel that if you have to swab at all, no matter the bore size, your patch isn't thick enough. If you can't load a thicker patch then the crown isn't radiused and smooth enough.  Ordinary spit is all that's needed, no "wonder" lubes nor synthetic or other modern BP replacement powder.
: Neil's (of this forum) daughter in law shoots a .32 at Rondy and never has to wipe. She uses real BP. She would be difficult to beat.

BrownBear:
I agree, but with exceptions.  We've only gone 20 with the Pyro because we've never tried more.  It would probably do.  The other exception comes with super tight patches in the field.  On hunts we won't be carrying mallets, and that skinny little ramrod will only seat a ball against so much pressure.  We've tried the tight patch on the range, and it's a dandy deal.  But as I said these are hunting rifles, and the criteria are simply different.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version