Author Topic: Indain horn  (Read 2645 times)

Offline jdm

• member 2
Indain horn
« on: September 03, 2018, 04:30:18 PM »
Picked this up about twenty-five years ago from Jimmy Dresslar. He felt it was Eastern Woodlands.  I was looking through some of my pictures and thought some of you might like to see it. Thanks

JIM

Offline aaronc

Re: Indain horn
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:31:42 PM »
Thanks for the post,....whata prize.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 04:41:22 PM »
I am no expert, but the shape of the horn with the lobed top is Native American?  I also wonder about the scrim.  It is primitive (but totally cool), but it could have been done my Joe Farmer sitting in the cabin at night before bed. 

I am taking nothing away from an obviously beautiful horn.  Attributing "Native American" to it does not make it more desirable in my eye.  I think it is desirable no matter who made it.

Just my 2 cents worth. 

Best wishes, and God Bless,   Marc

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Indian horn
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 05:39:56 PM »
[quote author=Marcruger l
I am no expert, but the shape of the horn with the lobed top is Native American?  I also wonder about the scrim.  It is primitive (but totally cool), but it could have been done my Joe Farmer sitting in the cabin at night before bed. 

I am taking nothing away from an obviously beautiful horn.  Attributing "Native American" to it does not make it more desirable in my eye.  I think it is desirable no matter who made it.

Just my 2 cents worth. 

I'm no expert either. Your correct it could have been made by anyone. When I got it from Jim he said he thought it was made by Native Americans. Alan Gutchess who at the time was curator of the fort Pitt museum ,identified it as Eastern Woodland Indian . He did this informally  through these pictures so he never had it in hand.   I just figured they were more knowledgeable than me. Thanks for looking.  Jim
JIM

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Terrific horn. Keep in mind that horns were made and sold or traded then often decorated by their owners. Of course an Eastern Woodslands Native American could have gone cow hunting I suppose.
Andover, Vermont

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2018, 06:29:22 PM »
thats just a cool old horn ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
I do think it looks cool with these!

JIM

Offline walks with gun

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2018, 03:47:27 AM »
     Very very nice,    I need to make another horn now.

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 02:57:20 PM »
I really like that horn, too. I see several different birds, a turtle and a fish. I don't see a cow. I wonder what kind of fish is it meant to be- a sturgeon? a salmon maybe? What's that object above the fish? Thanks for sharing.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 05:00:08 PM »
The fish looks like a pike or musky to me.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 07:07:32 PM »
I can't tell what the fish is supposed to be. The maker was creative in his interpretations . The object above the fish is some kind of long  legged bird. There are also a couple of deer???. They have weird tails .plus another animal next to them that may be a beaver.  Thank you for your interest.  Jim

JIM

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 08:02:54 PM »
How is the plug held in place? Is the plug made from pine? Do you think it is original to the horn? Very cool looking horn ;) 8)
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2018, 03:14:17 AM »
Butt plug is held in place by friction. I think it is pine . There is a small amount of paint left on it .

JIM