Author Topic: Working on pouches  (Read 1208 times)

Offline pathfinder

Working on pouches
« on: August 22, 2018, 04:52:19 PM »
Recently,I posted in “ Over the Fence” about poor quality items being passed off as “Art”,and charging an exorbitant fee for said items.

These are twin pouches I’m making for a very dear and important friend of mine and his “young” gun builder,(who is up there with the BEST!),and kind of what I was getting at.

At this point,I have about 50 hours in these two. And this is the first of @ 15-20 steps I use in finishing these pouches. I say 15-20 because as a life long antique restorer,my Grandfather taught me how to “Listen to your work”. Not everything finished the same. No matter if I’m restoring a 1780’s Irish Hall Clock(my personal favorite to do!),or a simple Country chair,each piece “ speaks to you”,IF you listen. Even though both of these use the same materials,except the lining,and same processes, they are already telling me different things. And I’ll proceed accordingly.

Is this art? I don’t think so,because these are made to be used! NOT admired!

Am I an “artist”? Nope. I’m a “Tinker”. A Muzzleloading Tinker.

My ego is such,that I don’t do the truly amazing shows,like Dixon’s and the CLA because I don’t feel my stuff compares to the truly great pouch makers. Ian and Mary Ellen Prat,Jack DuPrey,Curt Lyles,and so on.

These are my $200 pouches,and I’m hesitant to charge THAT much. Mostly I’ll either give them as gifts,shoot prizes or in trade. Yeah,I’m “poor”,but my heart and soul are FULL!

Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Working on pouches
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 05:26:09 PM »
Those look every bit the quality of many pouches I see at Dixon’s and CLA. Come out and enjoy the parties!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Greg Pennell

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 07:28:25 PM »
Beautiful work from where I’m sitting...those will stand shoulder to shoulder with some of the best.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline KC

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 10:35:11 PM »
I like them both, they look very well crafted to me.
K.C.
K.C. Clem
Bradenton, FL

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 10:43:39 PM »
Those bags are very nice and would hold their own with so-called "artsy" bags.  You do very fine work.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Lobo

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2018, 04:07:51 AM »
Ted is a good friend,  I was fortunate to share a booth with him at Kalamazoo this year. I saw his work first hand and I must say the man is too modest, his bags rate top billing.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2018, 08:25:55 AM »
I truly appreciate all the nice comments!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!