Author Topic: Origin of My Mountain Man Name  (Read 2457 times)

Two Flints

Origin of My Mountain Man Name
« on: April 07, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »
Hello,

Upon returning from Vietnam, I was itching to buy a hunting rifle.  After all the automatic weapons I experienced over THERE, I settled on a flintlock rifle, purchased at a local shop in Massachusetts called the "Hunter's Rendezvous". It was and still is a tack driver and it was made by Jack Garner, former owner of TVM.

So now I had to develop my persona of a Mountain Man.  One evening I was watching a movie, "Man in the Wilderness" and during one scene, a mountain man was building a fire to cook his meal.  He took out his flint knife and used it to produce sparks that gave him the fire he needed.

Well, I decided I had to have a flint knife.  Checking through ads in my Muzzleloading Magazine I found a knife maker in Arizona (I think) contacted him and he agreed to make a flint knife using my measurements.

When I received the flint knife, I liked it so much I ordered a second one.  Later, when I showed the knifes to a friend of mine, he was impressed and said, Wow, two flint knives!  His words stayed with me, and I liked the comment so much that it became my Mountain Man name - "Two Flints".

Here are the knives that started it all for me:

Thanks for looking,

Two Flints

Carolina_Skinner

Re: Origin of My Mountain Man Name
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:37:09 PM »
Wow, those are gorgeous!  Love the story!

sloe bear

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 05:39:20 PM »
  In our circle of Mt.Men, a name by which your called and known among your piers was earned. by some "dumb" act like "cut Blanket" or a feature of the personality like "magpie" he never shut up, the naming ceremony always took place at the evening camp fire where they were officially dubbed with the handle . some were not too appreciaptive of the name but they were required to work hard to have the name changed. two beers never liked his name and worked hard to change , however he never accomplished it and now some 30 years later he is still known as two beers. My own name "Sloe Bear" came about after a bear hunt and a comment was made that must have been you guessed it a slow bear.

Offline lost arrow 801

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 07:38:41 AM »
Same with us. I'm called lost arrow because I lost so many arrows during a squirrel hunt some years back. Not bad considering  some names people get stuck with we got a guy named tick because of a tick he picked up. That one only stuck cuz he hated it so bad.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »
I really like those two knives.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.