Author Topic: Any ideas on this one?  (Read 5268 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Any ideas on this one?
« on: May 31, 2009, 08:40:47 PM »
    This nicely-cased half stock high quality percussion rifle recently came in for some restoration work.  It is nicely engraved overall.  The capbox has a central engraving of a deer in flight.  The cheekpiece eagle is nicely done and is consistent with the era of the gun.  There are no maker marks or names to be found anywhere.  There is a cartouche on the top of the case, but it is unmarked.
The rifle has a 30" straight barrel 1+1/16" across the flats in 45 cal.  There are no provisions for a false muzzle.  The stock is nicely figured American walnut.   Any ideas of who, where, or when would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ron

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Any ideas on this one?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 08:53:39 PM »
Very nice. What I call a target/hunting rifle. Many of these had two sets of sights. The telltale sign would be a screw hole in the tang with an extremely fine thread that may have held a removable peep sight or an elevation screw for a long barrel mounted sight. I would guess, in this order... New York, Cincinnati or New England, all from about 1850 to 1875. These were all places where target shooting was a respectable pass time for upper middle class professional men who could afford beautifully made rifles but where rifle hunting was on the wane as a result of agriculture and land clearance. The lack of a false muzzle only indicates that it wasn't a "pure" target rifle, which is also suggested by the sights it has. Its interesting that it is unnamed... My experience is that most are but I've had several that weren't.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 09:20:12 PM »
I'd say New York.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 10:23:34 PM »
If I had one guess...

Ferriss / Ferris  Utica, NY  High quality with a walnut stock. Made as late as the end of the Civil War. I am surprised that you don't see Remington somewhere in a hidden location as I'd bet they made the barrel.

Obviously only a guess.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »
    Thanks for the input on the cased rifle.  J.V. you are absolutely correct that the rifle does have a set of target sights, that are as you described.   The owner retained the accouterments when he handed over the rifle for some work.  The rifle was purchased from a family in Boston, and had apparently been in their possession for years.
    Bruce, I have seen a fair number of Remington barrels on muzzleloaders, but this barrel like the rest of the gun is unmarked.   My first thoughts on the gun"s origin was also New York, just a gut feeling.   

Thanks again  Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 01:53:12 AM »
My first guess was New York, too. But many years ago, I handled a very similar rifle that came from the Boston area. I think the builder was a Tileston, but can't swear to it. The cap box was much like this one as was the butt piece. And the way the checkering wraps down under towards the triggers is the same. Overall the style and proportions are very close. Too bad it's unsigned--it's such a pretty rifle and it would be nice to know the maker's name.

timM

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »

This percussion double by a NY maker seems to show certain similarities to the rifle in this positing.  The rifle belongs to a good friend of mine who has allowed me to photograph it and offer it for library review. 

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 06:22:52 AM »
I would like to know the twist just for giggles.
Could be a gain or straight.
If a gain and it ends at 30-40" it could be a picket rifle even without other provisions.
By the time this rifle was made target shooting had moved to 200 yards and more in the east.
Just a thought. Not all pciket rifles are made for guide starters. Though it looks more like a hunting rifle to me.

If you could get him to let you photograph the sights they would be of interest too.
There were a lot of good qualtiy makers in the country when this rifle was made so getting something concrete may be tough.

I skimmed through "The American Percussion Schuetzen Rifle" but found no "hits".

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

timM

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 06:49:47 AM »
Hunting rig for whoever the lucky owner was.  The bores are rifled on the right and smooth on the left.  My friend is a Saturday dinner regular, I will ask him to bring it again so I can check the twist and take some oa dimensions. 

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
A beautiful double rifle. There isn't any doubt that's a NY gun. I don't believe doubles were ever used for serious target work. It should be rifled for a picket bullet.

The first rifle could easily be New England made also. There is no essential difference in the style, just that many more seem to have been made in New York. One of my all-time favorite makers is Joseph Tonks of Boston. I've only seen three of his rifles and a couple of shotguns but they are one of the very very few American guns that actually rival London "best" quality. I can only think of one other maker in the same class and he was in Boston also. (I have a detached, left hand lock) Tonks apprenticed at Rigby's so calling him an "American" maker is borderline. He may well have ordered his locks from Brazier's in Birmingham like all the great makers did by the 1850s but his stock work was superb. I have a fantastic rifle barrel, Birmingham proofed (on the bottom) "Lane & Read Boston" on the top flat, that came from a cobbled up piece of junk that I'm saving for a rifle project some day...the problem is that I'm nowhere near good enough to make a rifle that reflects the quality of the parts.

As an example of Tonks work... a couple of years ago there was a big sale of a NE collection that had three Joseph Tonks rifles in it. Two were of the hunting/target configuration and both went for about three times what a rifle of this type usually fetches. The third rifle was a heavy bench rest target rifle with a telescopic sight, false muzzle etc. Except it was refinished and the collectors, while they liked it, were completely outbid by two gentlemen in USA Shooting jackets. After the sale we were talking to the man who bought the first two rifles. He openly wondered why they'd payed so much for a refinished gun. My colleague asked "so what would it cost to have a rifle like that made today?" "Oh" he said. I see what you mean.

timM

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 05:03:09 AM »
I had the opportunity to take some measurements today.

Right barrel .430 rifled with no gain twist & left barrel .440 smooth

Barrels 26" long with slight tapering to .675" at the muzzles

Pull at 13"

Heel to toe 4.25"