Author Topic: Looking for help identifying this rifle (no obvious marks)  (Read 1123 times)

Offline wirebrush

• Starting Member
Looking for help identifying this rifle (no obvious marks)
« on: March 16, 2021, 10:53:52 AM »
I am trying to help someone identify an old percussion rifle that has been in their family for years.  His great uncle was an antique dealer in the 30's and 40's and the rifle was passed down by him.  He has looked the gun over carefully but can not find any identifying or makers marks on the barrel, lock and patch box area on the outside.  Without having him to try and disassemble the gun at this point, I told him I could post these pictures for him on this forum and see if anyone can tell us anything about the rifle based on the construction.  He also has an old flask if anyone has any information on it also.  Any information appreciated.  I know sometimes there are markings on the bottom of the barrel and we may have to try that next.  Thx for your help.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Looking for help identifying this rifle (no obvious marks)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 03:29:20 PM »
Look very closely on the top of the barrel between the rear sight and the breach. The markings may be very faint. It appears to be Western Pennsylvania or Eastern Ohio. Not a lot to go by Because it’s all made from hardware store parts.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
Re: Looking for help identifying this rifle (no obvious marks)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2021, 08:12:49 PM »
This rifle looks very much like it was made in Louisville, KY, or close to that area. Specific details which suggest a Louisville area product are:

1. guard with a "square shoulder" where it runs up to meet rear extension,
2. thin butt with clean, straight lines in comb and toe,
3. long tang... it's hard to see, but based on "slight" view of rear of tang, appears to be a longer one, possibly with two screws, in KY fashion,
4. typical nose cap treatment where it sits several inches beyond the rear ramrod pipe,
5. rather slim, even width side facings around lock, without the extended or tapered nose or tail in side facings often seen in more eastern rifles,
6. extended butt plate heel, often seen on Louisville percussion rifles of the 1840s and later.
7. guard with very oval shaped bow

I also recommend looking closely at top barrel flat several inches behind rear sight, to see if any trace of initials or a name remains on the barrel. If so, we can probably figure out the maker on this rifle.

Shelby Gallien