Author Topic: Colerain Turkey Choke Barrel?  (Read 8418 times)

Berks Liberty

Colerain Turkey Choke Barrel?
« on: June 01, 2009, 03:30:47 PM »
Anyone use Colerain's Turkey Choke Barrel.  I'm just wondering how you like it and any good or bads about it.  Does it shoot like a Full Choke?  Any info you could share would be great.  Thanks. 

Jason

George F.

Re: Colerain Turkey Choke Barrel?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:55:18 PM »
Now that's bizarre. I was thinking of asking this very same question yesterday for I have one, but not in a project yet....Geo.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
Read this:

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/Gift.html

This gun was a 20 ga. and had one of the first Colerain turkey barrels on it.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 06:04:27 PM »
That's cool!

Berks Liberty

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 07:42:20 PM »
Read this:

http://home.insightbb.com/~bspen/Gift.html

This gun was a 20 ga. and had one of the first Colerain turkey barrels on it.

Very good article!  Thanks  I just might have to order one.  Thanks again

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:45:38 AM »
I just ordered two barrels. (one for a friend)
38 inch. round/oct with the turkey choke.
This was my first year turkey hunting.
My first turkey was almost 25 pounds, my second was 22 pounds.
Both were with a modern gun. I hunted with some friends from time to time but both times I killed turkeys I was by myself. Both mid day and called toms in from LONG RANGE! It just made it even more special.
I had such a fantastic time in the woods. Lots of wildlife encounters and just plain nice weather and enjoyable days. some morrel mushrooms. With every outing I brought back some kind of story.
A 20 gauge flinter would make it that much nicer.
I am hooked for life.
Bob Spencer's story resulted in my colerain barrel order.
I always enjoyed all of Bob's stories and read them from time to time.
I'm not doing so good with this gun building stuff and may have a gun built for me.
I figured I would get a barrel and have it on hand when I found someone to build the gun.
I am thinking along the lines of a smoothbore rifle rather then a fouling gun.

PJC
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Berks Liberty

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:34:35 AM »
I just ordered two barrels. (one for a friend)
38 inch. round/oct with the turkey choke.
This was my first year turkey hunting.
My first turkey was almost 25 pounds, my second was 22 pounds.
Both were with a modern gun. I hunted with some friends from time to time but both times I killed turkeys I was by myself. Both mid day and called toms in from LONG RANGE! It just made it even more special.
I had such a fantastic time in the woods. Lots of wildlife encounters and just plain nice weather and enjoyable days. some morrel mushrooms. With every outing I brought back some kind of story.
A 20 gauge flinter would make it that much nicer.
I am hooked for life.
Bob Spencer's story resulted in my colerain barrel order.
I always enjoyed all of Bob's stories and read them from time to time.
I'm not doing so good with this gun building stuff and may have a gun built for me.
I figured I would get a barrel and have it on hand when I found someone to build the gun.
I am thinking along the lines of a smoothbore rifle rather then a fouling gun.

PJC

Pat,   Where did you order your barrel?  I seen Track of the Wolf is taking orders for the 44 inch.  I'm thinking of something a little shorter. 

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 12:49:29 PM »
I just sent Scott Keller at Colerain an e-mail.
I don't know if they normally sell direct or not.
I am from Canada and we don't have a distributor up here.
I am suppose to pick it up later this summer when I pass by his place on Vacation.

Pat_Cameron
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Berks Liberty

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:56 PM »
thanks Pat

Offline Telgan

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 02:15:48 AM »
Anyone know what the breach depth on this barrel as it comes from Colerain? Tom

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 04:05:24 AM »
I bought 2 of Colerain 62 cal. turkey choked barrels 1@ 33 inches the other @ 36 inches.  Scott Keller threaded the breach 3/4 16 thread for a T/C hooked breach plug. These barrels will be used on a T/C Renegade flint .I sent for 2 flint breach plugs hooked from TOTW.  These breach plugs needed work  to become shootable .On the day I called  Colerain they were just starting to make a run of 1 inch octagon barrels. Couldn't decide on which length so I bought both.
 These barrels pattern tight! 12 to 15 inches at 25 yards.  I will be putting a rear sight on them. Looking forward to testing them on turkeys this fall.  Worked up 30 yard patterns and will fine tune to 35 yards.  My loads  to date 70 gr FFF- 2 oxyoke lubed 1/8 wool wads lubed-90 gr 6 lead 1 over shot card thin.
I liked the looks of the turkey barrel that TOTW carries but that would not work with my flint set up.  I would recommend the Colerain turkey choke barrel.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:08:35 AM by Fowl »

Colonial Riflesmith

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 01:11:11 PM »
I've never used a turkey choke, because I was under the impression thet you can't shoot a RB out of it.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 03:27:28 PM »
The Colerain turkey choke barrel starts with a 62 cal. breach then the last 4 to 5 inches or so constrict to 58 cal. at the muzzle.  Using the oxyoke wool wads loading was easy. This is not a round ball barrel. Shot only!