Author Topic: Thin Screwdriver Source?  (Read 3583 times)

Offline Martin S.

Thin Screwdriver Source?
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
OK, I have a lot of screwdrivers, including some ones designed specifically for gun smithing.

However, many flintlocks and some percussion locks, have screws that are both wide and very thin, too thin for any of my screwdrivers.

Can anyone recommend a wide, thin, screwdriver that will fit most lock screws?

Not just the screw for the flint, but the screw that attaches the hammer on a percussion lock.

I am sure I am not the only one with this problem, so there must be a source.

Thanks!

Martin

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Re: Thin Screwdriver Source?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:14:27 PM »
Get several drivers and shape them with a belt sander or a Dremel tool.

Offline Sawfiler

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 08:31:37 PM »
Second what Nate says, just don't let them get too hot while you are grinding them or else they will bend as soon as you go to use them.
Wish I enjoyed what makes my living
Did what I do with a willin' hand
Some would run, ah, but that ain't like me
So I just dream and keep on bein' the way I am

Offline Mike Lyons

• Afghanvet
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:46:09 PM »
I've used a chapman set for years on WWII and now flintlock rifles and have no complaints.  It seems like the set always has a bit that fits perfect.  They had a smaller and cheaper set at one time. 
https://chapmanmfg.com/products/5589-ultimate-gunsmithing-set

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:34:48 PM »
For guns I make,  I file the screw slots for two screw drivers I have on my bench.   It is one of the first things I do when I get a new lock.

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 09:36:41 PM »
I fabricated my lock bolt and lock screw screwdriver out of an old spring steel paint scraper years ago. Still going strong.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DHS

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 09:42:13 PM »
Brownells has a huge assortment including wide and thin blades. 

Offline 45-110

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
get the big set from Midway or Brownells, you will have plenty of size choices in the set. they can be modified/re contoured as needed.
a good set just may be the most important tool on your bench.
kw

Offline EC121

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 10:39:55 PM »
I bought the wooden handled set from TOTW.  Then I filed them to fit.  Works fine.
Brice Stultz

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 11:20:26 PM »
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007363134/wheeler-engineering-89-piece-professional-plus-gunsmithing-screwdriver-set

I'm temped to buy a second set at the price. 

The problem with grinding screw drivers is that you will end up drawing the temper and they go soft.  Re hardening and drawing them is a pain.  If you get it wrong you can still buggar the slot or snap the tip and scratch up the work. 

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 01:43:02 AM »
Just don’t over heat while grinding.  No trouble at all.

Jim

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 01:49:27 AM »
Steve Hughes out in Montana now only makes modern guns but he wrote up a nice pc about screwdrivers & bits. It includes altering to fit. I think it was for an article in Shooting Sportsman but its all applicable to what we do. Steve shares a lot of info when he can.
This might be worth a look.

http://finegunmaking.com/page36/page16/page16.html

Bob D.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 02:46:44 AM »
Speaking of screws. Doe anyone know the name of the file that shapes screw slots in a taper?
Psalms 144

Offline horologist

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 03:00:51 AM »
Speaking of screws. Doe anyone know the name of the file that shapes screw slots in a taper?

Screwhead files.

http://www.ottofrei.com/Glardon-Vallorbe-Screwhead-with-Tang-Precision-Files-LP1840

Offline stikshooter

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 03:27:17 AM »
I had that problem as my C Sharps 1874 hammer had a large screw with the thinnest  slot I have seen ,but was lucky a friend had a set from Brownells Magna Tip Super Set . Worked so good I ordered my own set before I finished the job (5 minutes) , not cheap but neither are my guns .I never owned a set this nice !!!!!!!!!!!

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2018, 04:11:58 AM »
For guns I make,  I file the screw slots for two screw drivers I have on my bench.   It is one of the first things I do when I get a new lock.

I file the major screw slots to fit my usually universally available-- pocket driver, which is a quarter-US-dollar coin. 

And now I think I'll adopt Mark's approach for the smaller ones.  Two sizes, no guessing.  Love it. 

This place has everything.   8)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:12:51 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2018, 04:30:16 AM »
What two files to make the two slots?

Offline Martin S.

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2018, 04:36:14 AM »
First, thanks to everyone for the information.

Very, very helpful.  I have ordered some screwdriver sets, and I have a few "sacrificial" screwdrivers that I will attempt to make thinner without ruining the temper.

I am interested in the filing aspect.  The one link provided was for filing tapered sides into your screw slots.

Is there a file that exists that will file parallel slots, but has safe edges so they slot will not go deeper?

The last poster also asked my next question.  What size are the two sizes of slots and which files to cut them to size?

Thanks again for all the fantastic help!

Martin

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 07:30:18 AM »

I've been using whatever needle files are handy, or whatever is closest to my hand.  Spend way too much time doing things yet.

Maybe Mark has a better worked solution. 

--
I've ground "safer" sides, but don't usually and rely on focusing the bite.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:34:18 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 04:41:11 PM »

The screws I make for my locks are copied from the Brits and I use a 6" hacksaw with
the set filed off the teeth with a flat diamond file. I slot the screw head and then finish
it with an old acute angle knife file.Some time ago I got a phone call from an irate man
who said my lock screws with narrow slots was a pain in his back side.I told him to
learn to carefully file a screw driver to fit the slots and he'd have no more problems.
Lynton McKenzie once asked me if I had ever thought about what to do with a broken
mainspring. I told him "No,I had never given any thought to it"He said the old Brits
would heat it up,forge it flat and "strike up a turn screw" from it.ANY time you're around
a man with the level of ability Lynton had,it pays to listen to him.

Bob Roller

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »
I was not clear, sorry.  Mark sticks to two standard slots.  I would like to experiment with the files he uses.  What sizes as linked below?

http://www.ottofrei.com/Glardon-Vallorbe-Screwhead-with-Tang-Precision-Files-LP1840

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 06:36:04 PM »
I like to use a knife file.  Seems most all of the original slots I've seen are of this cross section.  Don't think parallel sided slots were used much.

Jim

Offline flehto

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2018, 06:53:12 PM »
Through the yrs I've gone to hardware stores and depts. looking for cheap screw drivers that are hard like a screw driver should be. Some have wood handles{preferred} and some have plastic handles and both of  these are the ones that are reground to suit various screw slots. Oddly enough, have never bought one of these cheap screw drivers that was too soft.

I grind the screw drivers on a bench grinder w/  the screw driver at  right angles to the grinding wheel face. and the blade of the screw driver on the upper surface of the grinding wheel....this yields a hollow ground tip which bears against the bottom walls of a straight  walled slot {modern screws}. For  tapered walled slotted screws , the cheap screw drivers are ground to a good fit..

A bucket of cold water is nearby to ensure that the tips don't become annealed.....Fred

Offline Flint62Smoothie

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2018, 07:55:13 PM »
Ditto the hacksaw blade w/ kerf removed method ... my Dad showed us that trick ~40-years ago!
All of my muzzleloaders will shoot into one ragged hole ALL DAY LONG ... it's just the 2nd or 3rd & other shots that tend to open up my groups ... !

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2018, 08:02:21 PM »
I like to use a knife file.  Seems most all of the original slots I've seen are of this cross section.  Don't think parallel sided slots were used much.

Jim

The old knife file slots IF matched by the angle of the screw driver is the ideal
configuration. I try as much as I can to copy the old Brits and their good workmanship.

Bob Roller