Author Topic: Friendship  (Read 14420 times)

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
Re: Friendship
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 03:47:48 AM »
What time do they shut everything down in the evenings? I got drill in Madison that weekend and won't be getting released until at least 4:30.

There is the designated Shooter's night, but a good number of us vendors open back up after dinner every night.  We typically leave for dinner promptly at 5 (you could set your watch to Dad's stomach!! ;D) but return around 7 and stay open until 10ish.  Keep in mind that our row (the one closest to the range) tends to have more open vendors at night than many of the other rows so if the first few you walk by are dark, just keep heading toward the range.  :-)  See you guys up there!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 03:48:22 AM by Blackpowder Barbie »
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 04:20:03 AM »
I've decided to head over earlier on Monday and am bringing the boy with me. I am picking him up Saturday afternoon after drill.
Psalms 144

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 06:43:20 PM »
Charlie Wallingford said he'll be in  a different booth this year - Booth 98 - that is over a few rows from the Chambers' row, right on the corner of one of the pass-through walkways between two aisles.  For you folks who remember a few years back I believe it is the booth Myron Carlson used to set up in.   

Guy

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 07:21:41 PM »
Caution: Sure to ruffle feathers but here it is anyway.
Re: Gunmakers match.
Some criticism, hopefully constructive. From a shooters standpoint.
Historically matches were shot for prizes. Sometimes pretty good sums of money, turkeys, beef, hams etc. They got the prize based on the score they shot, target they hit etc.
Now much of our shooting is done by lottery.
Yes I know the reasoning for lotterys, at least what I have been told every time I bring this up...
Shooting matches should reward skill. Rewarding mediocrity is a modern idea.
The gunmakers match sounds like it was designed by the "self-esteem" committee at a liberal arts college. Don't want anyone doing too well intentionally... Someones self-esteem might be "crushed". A drawing gives everyone a way to save face.

Thus the person who goes to the time and trouble to develop his skills is effectively punished for striving for excellence, the time and effort he spends thrown away. This is  grossly unfair. How can anyone practice for a lottery? What is the point?

A person could shoot a toilet paper "ball" and win the powder horn.

One shot matches have a long history, the "King" match in Schuetzen for example. But they have a visible aiming point, may be small and/or off center, but its there to be aimed at. Luck or otherwise at least the shooters get to see the target.
I am sure someone will have their feathers ruffled but read what I have written carefully its a statement of fact as I see it. I have attended many matches that featured lotterys. If they have enough donations almost everyone gets something.
But the best shooters, if they miss in the "draw" get some trophy or gee-gaw that is simply a dust collector.
Sorry for the rant.
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 07:37:48 PM »
The Gunmakers match was concieved purely for FUN.  It's ANYTHING BUT a serious shooting contest.

Just Fun... Honest !

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 08:54:22 PM »
The Gunmakers match was concieved purely for FUN.  It's ANYTHING BUT a serious shooting contest.

Just Fun... Honest !

Jeff

My point is, why bother shooting at all?  Its raffle. Go drink beer or iced tea and draw for the horn. Then the guns don't need cleaning.
I will shoot almost any kind of match by any rules, and have from 1 shot up to 3-4 days.
I really dislike raffles disguised as shooting matches always have and trust me I have been places where they raffled off HUNDREDS of items some pretty pricey.

If people want to call it a "Match" then make it a match even if one shot.

Making it entirely luck makes the shooting, which should be the FOCUS of an event BUILT around FIREARMS, a trivial side show.
THIS is what is REALLY wrong with this sort of thing.

Dan

Offline Benedict

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »
You make some VERY good points, Dan.

Bruce

Offline David Price

• The Flintlock Shop
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 03:19:00 AM »
Dphariss,

The gunmakers match was originally designed for just plain fun and camaraderie  among the gun builders, and for anyone else that wanted to watch.  A small amount of money is raised for Gunmakers  Hall, which spends it to try to advance the art of gun building.  The powder horn drawing has nothing to do with shooting, just more fun for all. 

If anyone thinks that this is a lot of foolishness that's fine,  everyone has a right to there opinion, and if you do not want to participate that is your choice.  I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with a group on non serious  shooters having a good time and raising a little money for a good cause.

I will be there.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 08:51:10 PM »
Dphariss,

The gunmakers match was originally designed for just plain fun and camaraderie  among the gun builders, and for anyone else that wanted to watch.  A small amount of money is raised for Gunmakers  Hall, which spends it to try to advance the art of gun building.  The powder horn drawing has nothing to do with shooting, just more fun for all. 

If anyone thinks that this is a lot of foolishness that's fine,  everyone has a right to there opinion, and if you do not want to participate that is your choice.  I don't understand why anyone would have a problem with a group on non serious  shooters having a good time and raising a little money for a good cause.

I will be there.

So there would be less fun and camaraderie if they could actually see the point they were shooting at??
But then someone might win by skill. Horrors.
I just figure that a shooting competition should be based on shooting skill.
Compared to the people I sometimes shoot with I am a long way from serious.

Its the basic principle of "luck matches" that I dislike.
The whole reason for having a firearm is to be able to hit a target with it. If unable to hit the target the firearm is nothing but an overpriced club or wall hanging.

Dan

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 11:58:14 PM »
Dan, I for one am a builder, hunter and competitive shooter in that order. While I am not at Friendship this week, I understand the thought of less than competiitive shooters enjoying the company of fellow builders who might not otherwise engage in a serious competitive event.  I think that's pretty easy to understand.

My understanding of old time shoots is that while there were certainly prizes for the winners, I am most sure that social interaction among people that might not see each other often would be an enjoyable part of the reason for getting together.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 02:25:07 AM »
Dan, I for one am a builder, hunter and competitive shooter in that order. While I am not at Friendship this week, I understand the thought of less than competiitive shooters enjoying the company of fellow builders who might not otherwise engage in a serious competitive event.  I think that's pretty easy to understand.

My understanding of old time shoots is that while there were certainly prizes for the winners, I am most sure that social interaction among people that might not see each other often would be an enjoyable part of the reason for getting together.
Certainly of course etc But when Alvin York shot over the log on that V target for the Ox he intended (according to the movie) to make $ to buy the bottom land by selling shots for the Ox as the prize......Course ol Dirty Dan sold the land out from under ol Alvin..    BTW he was shooting a 'cussin' gun (at least in the movie) :o ::) ;D ;)