Author Topic: I shot the P.A. Reinhard Rifle today  (Read 998 times)

ET

I shot the P.A. Reinhard Rifle today
« on: August 11, 2018, 04:33:10 AM »

Well I went out to the range and shot the old girl (Mary Todd as I affectionately call her) The old girl did well for being over 150 years old. I dug out some 20 year old FFG black powder and caps and patches and some .440 round balls. The patches are .015 and fit easily enough to start them with my rod, but I used a ball starter anyway. I used 50 grains of black powder and lubed the patches with some old Hoppes Patch lube. I only got to fire four rounds, but I’m pretty pleased with the results. (The range got busy and I will probably go back and shoot Old Mary Todd when my son can shoot her). My eyes aren’t as good as they used to be). I managed to get a one inch 3 shot group at 25 yards with the first 3 shots, (actually 3/4” measured center to center) although they were a little bit high and to the left, and I used a little Kentucky windage and elevation to put one in the black and close to the center on another target. These were shot using sandbags. I believe that the old girl may be able to shoot 1 inch groups or better at 50 yards with a tighter patch and some younger eyes. I didn’t want to adjust the sights until my son can shoot her.  I posted my targets, and a few pics at the range loading old Mary Todd. Shooting the old girl brought back a lot of good old memories when my son and I used to shoot a lot of black powder matches (woods walks and silhouette matches) when he was about 8 or 10 years old, and into his teen years. He’s 37 now. We used to throw knife and throwing hawk as well. I miss those days. They were some of the best times in my life. I think,  maybe that’s what our children need now  “a little less technology and a little more black powder and interaction with their parents.  “ May God Bless!

ET  AKA Randy M. Friend Sr.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:02:10 PM by ET »