Author Topic: Grain orientation in longrifle stock  (Read 2734 times)

Iktomi

Grain orientation in longrifle stock
« on: August 18, 2018, 12:53:02 AM »
 What is the correct orientation for the grain in a longrifle stock? I know that through the wrist it should approximate the shape and contour of the wrist as much as possible, but what about the rest of the stock? Specifically, through the lock? area and forend.

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
Re: Grain orientation in longrifle stock
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:21:37 AM »
Ideally, the grain should run parallel to the line of the stock;  along the butt, through the wrist, and along the forearm.   You are only going to get this with stump cut, quarter sawn  wood.   Everything else is some compromise.  Even a stump cut, quarter sawn piece of wood can be less than ideal.

Iktomi

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:25:37 AM »
Mark, that sounds about right. I reckon grain runout 45 degrees top to bottom through the lock area would be a no go?

Offline Jeff Durnell

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 02:18:07 AM »
Good question as I peruse pieces of wood as a newb.... and some aren't cheap.

Quartersawn straight-grained wood means the grain (perpendicular to growth rings) may well run straight through the wrist area, right? So how weak is it really? Those old guns that broke there, what grain orientation were they, generally?

Iktomi

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 02:30:31 AM »
I reckon a stock with grain orientation like this, illustrated by the red lines, would not be a real good thing?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 02:30:57 AM by Iktomi »

Offline Goo

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 04:43:12 AM »
I've had stocks  separate with the grain going a even a slight angle through that red line area when they get thin like they are supposed to be and the lock area is fully inlet.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 08:52:58 PM »
This one I built has great grain through the butt and wrist but comes out hard in the lower forestock, but I'm not worried about it breaking. It's all supported by the barrel.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:54:05 PM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2018, 12:57:13 AM »
One of the first guns I built had grain running at a 45% through the wrist.  I fixed by drilling a hole from the bottom of the breech inlet back to the comb and epoxied a length of "ready rod" which was the same diameter in the hole.  That wrist will never break!    Hugh Toenjes
H.T.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2018, 01:04:54 AM »
Hi Mike,
That is a really nice rifle.  I like the lines a lot.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2018, 03:57:01 AM »
  Dave Mike has a nack for building fine guns. Like the Lehigh he brought to the show.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2018, 06:42:05 AM »
The breaks I see are mostly like the yellow line.  I would not use such a piece of wood. 

Quarter sawed wood is hard to get because of how wood is slabbed off the log today.  It gets snapped up pretty fast. 

Iktomi

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2018, 08:01:15 AM »
 I was starting to assemble the colonial I just received, cleaning up the breech/tang inlets. Test fit the barrel, a bit snug under hand pressure only. Went to remove the barrel from the stock using the technique of holding the rifle upside down, gripped at the muzzle and loosely near the breech and gently tapping the butt on a padded sawhorse. First tap I heard a distinct *tick*....looked the gun over well and didn't see anything, figured it might be my old sawhorse creaking around. Gave it another tap and it sheared clean through.

I contacted Jim Kibler with the photo, and right off he said the grain was not right through that area of the stock and he will have a new stock shipped out as soon as he returns from the CLA show. Sometimes things happen, and he's making it right so no harm no foul.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 05:19:23 PM by Iktomi »

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »
Can you post a pic???  I'd like to see bad grain orientation.  Sounds like that snapped really easy.

Iktomi

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2018, 04:36:36 PM »
Can you post a pic???  I'd like to see bad grain orientation.  Sounds like that snapped really easy.

The pic is right above your post.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2018, 04:59:47 PM »
If I understand correctly this problem is worse when a blank is quarter sawn, which gives the best figure and dimensional stability. Slab sawn is 30% stronger according to Wayne Dunlap.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2018, 06:43:08 PM »
It was a dissapointment to hear about this problem, Iktomi.  It's a really odd grain orientation and it almost seems the grain makes a dip or dive near where it broke.  We're happy to replace it and get you fixed up, though.

All the best,
Jim

Iktomi

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2018, 06:51:58 PM »
It was a dissapointment to hear about this problem, Iktomi.  It's a really odd grain orientation and it almost seems the grain makes a dip or dive near where it broke.  We're happy to replace it and get you fixed up, though.

All the best,
Jim

Jim,

I chalk it up to one of those weird things that can happen when you work with wood enough. On casual examination, the grain looks pretty longitudinal both fore and aft, and it isn't *real* obvious that it dives out through the lock inlet area, but a real close look, and sure enough, it does just that. I think it could slip by anyone. $h!t happens, ya know, and I appreciate your great service in dealing with it  8)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 06:53:03 PM by Iktomi »