Author Topic: Lock Help!  (Read 1805 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Lock Help!
« on: August 22, 2018, 06:19:57 AM »
Hello all!  :)

Going to have TVM ( http://www.tennesseevalleymuzzleloading.com/tennessee-rifle ) build me a percussion long rifle. They have a couple different lock style. Which should I get for a Tennessee rifle?

Siler (early percussion conversion type)

Mountain lock:

Which of these locks is most HC/PC for this style of rifle? Are both locks in fact HC/PC? Which would be the more appropriate and historically authentic style to use? If both would work, which do you think looks better?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:21:41 AM by Smokey Plainsman »

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Re: Lock Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:31:12 AM »
The mountain lock.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 06:46:22 AM »
The mountain lock.

Thank you. Can you elaborate if you have the time, why you would chose that lock? Is it the most HC for the type of rifle or do you simply enjoy its look?

Offline rsells

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 08:54:36 AM »
Use the round tail lock.  The profile of the plate is the most common lock seen on Southern mountain rifles and is more correct for the rifle you are having built.
                                                                                         Roger Sells

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 04:20:58 PM »
The mountain lock.

Thank you. Can you elaborate if you have the time, why you would chose that lock? Is it the most HC for the type of rifle or do you simply enjoy its look?

The pointed tail is an 18th century flintlock style that went out of style decades before the SMR was developed. A lot of people use Silers on mountain rifles, because back a couple decades ago they were the only good lock readily available and certain manufacturers haven't updated their kits to take advantage of the better locks now available. They aren't correct, though.

The Mountain lock is the style that was actually used on the original rifles. Have a look at the Museum here: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=329.0
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 04:22:13 PM by Elnathan »
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 04:36:08 PM »
That round tail lock is the ticket for a southern gun.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 05:42:28 PM »
Smokey, look at the many original SMRs in the antiques section of the forum to see many examples.
Andover, Vermont

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 11:47:43 PM »
Guys I can't thank you enough.

Yes looking at pictures of original antique percussion long rifles I am finding the vast majority do have a rounded lock on to them.

I'm going to pick the Mountain lock. Right now I'm sitting at a .40 caliber 42" swamped barrel (will have to ask TVM if they offer an A or B weight, I'd prefer the lighter A weight so long as it won't be too flimsy) and a semi-fancy maple stock with browned metal hardware and very few furnishings, plus a grease hole for added panache and function.

Looking for a plain and simple SMR inspired gun, maybe with a bit more figure in the wood vs some originals but that's it. Just have a weakness for striped maple. :)

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 05:32:31 AM »
S. P.,

If you want an A profile barrel in .40 caliber, I suggest you consider a Rice "Southern Classic" barrel.  If you prefer some more weight for a more steady hold in target shooting, then you might want to consider a B profile.  TVM will use the barrel you send them if you choose to go that route, no need to limit yourself to whatever they offer.  Many years ago, I sent them a Douglas barrel and they used it in a SMR i wanted.  No problem.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2018, 03:25:02 PM »
Use the round tail lock.  The profile of the plate is the most common lock seen on Southern mountain rifles and is more correct for the rifle you are having built.
                                                                                         Roger Sells

Listen to Roger.He specializes in these Tn./Southern Mountain rifles.

Bob Roller

Offline PPatch

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 04:59:49 PM »
I gotta ask; why did you chose the the so-called "Mountain Lock" over the best intended, and expert, advice you received to go with the round tailed lock?

dave

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 05:14:20 PM »
I gotta ask; why did you chose the the so-called "Mountain Lock" over the best intended, and expert, advice you received to go with the round tailed lock?

dave
I thougth the mountain lock was the round tailed lock. The other lock pictured is a siler lock that has a pointed tail. Now I'm confused.

Best regards
Rolf

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 05:53:26 PM »
Rolf;

The round tailed lock is the mountain lock.

Hungry Horse

Offline PPatch

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 06:13:16 PM »
Never mind - I stand corrected. Carry on Smoky Mountain. Good luck with your build, and do show it when you're finished.

dave